Soot on my FEL

/ Soot on my FEL #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
It's been bugging me since I bought the tractor last year. :mad:Every time I start the thing up the soot blows all over the FEL. Every time I use It I have to get the Spray Nine out and then clean it up.:mad: Some times it's hard to even get off so I needed to do something about it.:confused:

I had planned on installing a stack. I purchased all the parts. Did the machining on them and thought that maybe it could be a little overkill on applying all of this so I decided to take the simple approach first. The main goal is to keep the soot off the FEL. My tractor is a cab model and it takes the fresh air from the top rear portion of the roof so I got some pipe and bent it back under the tractor pointing a little down so it's not on the ground or pointing towards the bottom of the tractor.

During start ups it's great. I don't smell any fumes and there's no soot on the FEL. Snow will soon be here so It will get the real test then and if I find a problem I'll go back to my first idea of installing a stack. I don't think this would work on a tractor with out the cab because you may end up smelling the fumes. Here's how it looks.

Attachments

• exhaust 1.jpg
    exhaust 1.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 610
  • exhaust 5.jpg
    exhaust 5.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 1,020
  • exhaust 6.jpg
    exhaust 6.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 573
  • exhaust 7.jpg
    exhaust 7.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 1,293
   / Soot on my FEL #2  
Looks good to me. I don't think snow will be a problem but that's just my thinking. Don't get much of the stuff where i live.:D

/ Soot on my FEL #3  
MIne is the same way, drives me crazy! I just haven't been ambicious enough to fix it. Good idea!

/ Soot on my FEL #4  
I put an angled extension on the B7610 I had before partly to keep the exhaust off the loader arm but also because I was using it a lot as a wheel barrow, loading the bucket with pavers and retaining wall blocks for landscaping I was doing. I would have to shut the engine off, even if I wanted it to warm up, while I was loading because it would blow exhaust in my face. The exhaust on the B 3030 is turned down more but does still get soot on the loader arm. The exhaust is a different size so the adaptor I had for the B7610 doesn't fit. It might not work anyway given the different angle.
Your adaptor looks good, since it has its own support it should be okay in the snow. Nice bender, by the way. Makes it easier to turn ideas into reality.

/ Soot on my FEL
I got a little over 20 hours on the tractor this past week plowing snow and I'm very pleased with the extension. No fumes in the cab and no soot on the FEL. I just got tired of cleaning the black soot off this tractor. I'm a happy camper now.:D

/ Soot on my FEL #6  
Seems like a good way to smoke out bugs from row crops.
Maybe you don't "garden" (verb) ?

/ Soot on my FEL #7  
Nice work 4shorts!- I've been reading up on all your projects and you sure do great work.;)- I wish you lived close to me.( like next door or something):D

Had the thought crossed your mind of running the exhaust up the top and using stainless exhaust ?

Your tractor looks great!;)

/ Soot on my FEL #8  
I got a little over 20 hours on the tractor this past week plowing snow and I'm very pleased with the extension. No fumes in the cab and no soot on the FEL. I just got tired of cleaning the black soot off this tractor. I'm a happy camper now.:D

Brag, brag, brag. Oh, sorry. It's just that we still have NO snow:(. The tractor hasn't been outside for a few days now, partly because it is too cold to be out for no good reason but mostly because there is no reason at all to take it out. I still have a shiny new front mount snow blower that I haven't tried out yet, don't even know if it will get soot on it:confused:.

/ Soot on my FEL
Seems like a good way to smoke out bugs from row crops.
Maybe you don't "garden" (verb) ?

:D Never thought of that. I was think by pointing the exhaust down it would melt the snow and that way I wouldn't have to pow it :D;)

Nice work 4shorts!- I've been reading up on all your projects and you sure do great work.;)- I wish you lived close to me.( like next door or something):D

Had the thought crossed your mind of running the exhaust up the top and using stainless exhaust ?

Your tractor looks great!;)

Thanks Low Bucket. Glad you like my work. In my business that's what counts. Right now I'm restoring a 1969 Honda Z50 Mini Trail. I'm actually painting the tank right now and waiting between coats. I thought about many different types of exhaust systems and like I said at the beginning of the thread, Sometimes simple is best and so far this is working out very well for me. Good idea you had as well. Thanks!

Brag, brag, brag. Oh, sorry. It's just that we still have NO snow:(. The tractor hasn't been outside for a few days now, partly because it is too cold to be out for no good reason but mostly because there is no reason at all to take it out. I still have a shiny new front mount snow blower that I haven't tried out yet, don't even know if it will get soot on it:confused:.[/QUOTET

Snow this time of the year around these parts can be very little. that being said last week we got more snow in one storm that we usually get for the full month. I would use the plow to push it then put the bucket on and hall it away. Snowing again today. I feel your pain though. Nothing worst than having your setup and not have a reason to use it. Pop a bunch of popcorn and go out and blow it around ;):D

/ Soot on my FEL #10  

Snow this time of the year around these parts can be very little. that being said last week we got more snow in one storm that we usually get for the full month. I would use the plow to push it then put the bucket on and hall it away. Snowing again today. I feel your pain though. Nothing worst than having your setup and not have a reason to use it. Pop a bunch of popcorn and go out and blow it around ;):D

Popcorn, good idea. Made me laugh anyway, can always use more laughs.
The neighbours would really think I had lost it then