Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #1  

diggerman47

Tractor
Mahindra 2516 shuttle drive w/FEL
I remember as a kid riding on my grandfather's Ford 8N. My seat? The tool box mounted on the inside of the right fender. Well, that 8N was a whole lot bigger than my 2516. No room for a tool box on the fender, floorboard, or nearly anywhere else. Except...

ine39j.jpg

I admit it, I'm a little bit ****, or maybe a lot--I don't want to be drilling a bunch of holes in my tractor, nor do I want to have anybody welding anything onto it. Luckily there are two small plates in the two rear corners behind the seat and they each had two 3/8" holes in them.

205xp9s.jpg

I'm not a welder; wish I was; so I assembled three pieces of 1/8"x2" angle iron on each side using nuts and bolts.
I bolted a short piece of angle to the holes that were there, and added upright legs, and then at the top of the legs, I added horizontal members to which the tool box is bolted.

1hv5m9.jpg

The tool box is a "tuff box" made of structural foam and purchased from my nearest Walmart. I'm happy to say that I ran my 5' rotary tiller for a while today and the tool box never even quivered.

It's not a perfect solution; it does partially obscure my rearward view, but I can look over and under the box and still see what's going on back there. On the other hand, it is totally out of the way of my mounting and dismounting the tractor, and it does not interfere with access to or operation of the 3PH. Oh, and it holds lots of tools, gloves, PTO output shaft cover, and extra clevis pins.

11ugfp3.jpg

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #2  
That's a nice clean installation. Before I got my welder, I used nuts and bolts in a similar manner as you did for my changes. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

Also, I try and use existing factory hole for my modifications as much as possible.

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #3  
Indeed a very nice installation and solution.
You mentioned that the box obscures your rear vision a bit, but I'm sure you can work around that. One thing I noticed is that with the tool box in the center behind the cab, it might be difficult to get in there for a "looksee" when you have an implement on the back. Then again, the implement (like a box blade) might end up being a step to get to it.
Nevertheless, great looking and neat install!

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #4  
That's a nice clean installation. Before I got my welder, I used nuts and bolts in a similar manner as you did for my changes. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

Also, I try and use existing factory hole for my modifications as much as possible.

I could not have said it any better. Cruise craigslist and if you wait long enough you can pick up a used Lincoln tombstone for a $100. They come in handy and you can teach yourself to weld. Rake wheels, trailer mover little things like that you can make yourself.

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #5  
I like it.

Chris

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #6  
Awesome! I have been looking for a place for a tool box on my 2516 as well. Great Job!

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #7  
Nice job!

/ Added a tool box to my Mahindra 2516 #8  
Nice work on the tool box. I added a tool box on my 790 in a similar location. I sure like that foam box over the metal box I used. Mine is getting bent up a bit as its just a bit too close when used with my landscape rake (for some reason). I got a coupla kinks in mine now....but it works and I think it adds character. :laughing:

I know your going to like that box!!