Chain, Chain, and more chain....

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #1  

TWD

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M59
Looking for some quality chain for moving logs, disabled vehicles, steel pipes, and just general chain usage etc. (not for binders)

I see the same labeled chain go for different amounts at harbor freight, northern tools, tractor supply, etc..

How the heck do we know what's good quality stuff if it's labeled the same series :confused:

For general FEL lifting duty, or backhoe moving duty is chain in the 4k-5k strength good?

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #2  
Just my preference but I just get grade 70 in whatever size is best for what I'm doing weight wise. I don't see the price is that big a difference.

I bought some 20' grade 70 5/8" at the JD dealer and later compared price and it was less than either TSC or Northern. Never checked HF.

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #3  
I agree, for general purpose use get some grade 70 chain at your local Harbor freight, Tractor supply, Home Depot, Lowes etc. 5/16" is fairly light weight and strong for the purposes you mentioned. You could also use grade 43 but you'd have to use 3/8" instead of 5/16".

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #4  
George is right. I use 1/4 Gr70 for most of my use (chokers) etc, it's plenty strong for what I do with it. 3150 lb working load, 12600 lb min. break strength.

Here is a link to NACM welded chain specs, it should tell you all you need to know. The actual strength tables are at the very end, but good reading throughout.

http://www.nacm.info/Downloads/NACM_Welded.pdf

I usually buy chain from a company called Hercules SLR, they sell specialty material for "Securing, Lifting, and Rigging". Cheaper than most of the box stores because you're buying in bulk, and you're getting the right stuff the first time.

Sean

Last edited:
   / Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #5  
Grade 70 is Grade 70 now even if China makes it. Decades ago the USA and China went through this grade thing on bolts and chains. People were being killed by counterfeit chains and bolts from China. I.E. a Chinese grade 8 bolt was really a grade 5 bolt. A Chinese grade 70 chain was really a grade 40 chain. I don't buy Chinese bolts and chains. I don't trust Chinese stuff for things that could hurt or cripple me if they fail. C/M makes premium stuff.

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #6  
Grade 70 is Grade 70 now even if China makes it. Decades ago the USA and China went through this grade thing on bolts and chains. People were being killed by counterfeit chains and bolts from China. I.E. a Chinese grade 8 bolt was really a grade 5 bolt. A Chinese grade 70 chain was really a grade 40 chain. I don't buy Chinese bolts and chains. I don't trust Chinese stuff for things that could hurt or cripple me if they fail. C/M makes premium stuff.

boy, then i guess you dont drive, ever use a public road, or go out in public, do ya?

harbor freight grade 70 chain in way more than adequate for anything a compact tractor is going to be able to do. i have also seen many good old used chains at garage sales

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #7  
Boy chain prices have went up:confused2:

The last time I bought chain was about 5-6 years ago. TSC grade 70 3/8 "trucker chain". It was 20' long with two grab hooks and it was only $30. We really didn't want 20' chains but bulk was like 1.75 per ft and the hooks another $8each. So we ended up buying 2 of the 20's. hose chains are now $70ea:confused2:

But to your origional question, it depends on what you are doing. I have broke several 5/16 gr70 chains and a few gr70 3/8 chains with just typical 4x4 trucks and even my little l3400 'bota.

For lifting GR 70 is NOT supposed to be used for overhead lifting. But a 3/8 has a WWL of 6600 and a break strength of like 26000lbs. So unless you have a 100+ HP tractor and loader, lifting with a GR 70 you should have no problems.

If you do a lot of pulling/logging, I'd go for a 3/8 over the 5/16. Thsi is where I usually break chains. You may not be able to straight pull 6600 lbs but it is the shock loads. And I dont mean jerking on that stubborn log either. The times that I have broken chain occur when you are pulling that log out, and the but end catches a root, or a stump that you didn't see, or another tree that you turned it into and didn't get stopped in time. It doesnt take a lot to snap 5/16 chain. 3/8 wil; definatally let you know you hit something when it breaks.

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #8  
Boy chain prices have went up:confused2:

The last time I bought chain was about 5-6 years ago. TSC grade 70 3/8 "trucker chain". It was 20' long with two grab hooks and it was only $30. We really didn't want 20' chains but bulk was like 1.75 per ft and the hooks another $8each. So we ended up buying 2 of the 20's. hose chains are now $70ea:confused2:

But to your origional question, it depends on what you are doing. I have broke several 5/16 gr70 chains and a few gr70 3/8 chains with just typical 4x4 trucks and even my little l3400 'bota.

For lifting GR 70 is NOT supposed to be used for overhead lifting. But a 3/8 has a WWL of 6600 and a break strength of like 26000lbs. So unless you have a 100+ HP tractor and loader, lifting with a GR 70 you should have no problems.

If you do a lot of pulling/logging, I'd go for a 3/8 over the 5/16. Thsi is where I usually break chains. You may not be able to straight pull 6600 lbs but it is the shock loads. And I dont mean jerking on that stubborn log either. The times that I have broken chain occur when you are pulling that log out, and the but end catches a root, or a stump that you didn't see, or another tree that you turned it into and didn't get stopped in time. It doesnt take a lot to snap 5/16 chain. 3/8 wil; definatally let you know you hit something when it breaks.

Pretty close to the mark, I'd say. Prices have gone up. I think it's all these dam* weekend tractor warriors :D raising demand. Guilty as charged.

Shock load is a contributing factor to chain breakage. I haven't broken any 1/4 gr 70 yet, but that's not to say I won't.

They don't approve gr 70 for "overhead lifting" which is exactly that. I get the heebie-jeebies working under anything that's suspended temporarily, and I work with people that do just that (rigging) for a living.

Grade 80 or 100 is overhead lifting approved (alloy chain), but everything else in the "chain" of lift has to be approved as well, like chainfalls, shackles, lift points, etc. One weak "link" is enough to kill you. And no, I AM not the safety police by a long shot.

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #9  
Pretty close to the mark, I'd say. Prices have gone up. I think it's all these dam* weekend tractor warriors :D raising demand. Guilty as charged.

Shock load is a contributing factor to chain breakage. I haven't broken any 1/4 gr 70 yet, but that's not to say I won't.

They don't approve gr 70 for "overhead lifting" which is exactly that. I get the heebie-jeebies working under anything that's suspended temporarily, and I work with people that do just that (rigging) for a living.

Grade 80 or 100 is overhead lifting approved (alloy chain), but everything else in the "chain" of lift has to be approved as well, like chainfalls, shackles, lift points, etc. One weak "link" is enough to kill you. And no, I AM not the safety police by a long shot.

I typically dont like being under anything suspended by chain, grd 100 or not.

But some times I dont have a better option. Common sense goes a long way. I have worked under my 500lb mower deck suspended with GR 70 3/8 before. But being that they are 20' long, it was double chained. Giving me a 13,200lb WLL for a 500lb mower. I was not worried at all that it would break. Which kinda brings up another point that can be applied to pulling and lifting both. Double chain will double the ability. With 20' chains and 2 grab hooks, I can wrap a log, loop around the hitch, and hool back onto the chain at the log, giving 2 chains to carry the load.

I am really surpised you havent broke 1/4" chain yet. You need to do some more pulling.

/ Chain, Chain, and more chain.... #10  
boy, then i guess you dont drive, ever use a public road, or go out in public, do ya?

harbor freight grade 70 chain in way more than adequate for anything a compact tractor is going to be able to do. i have also seen many good old used chains at garage sales

I agree completely with whistlepig - If it comes from China and my life depends on it - I leave it on the store shelf...