almost burnt a hay field

/ almost burnt a hay field #1  

MF1652

Silver Member
Tractor
2016 John Deere 3039R
I was raking hay and had to cross over a large wind row. This caused the hay to bunch up under my tractor and it didn't want to clear it's self as I continued along and only made things worse. Stopped to clear the hay and smelled something burning. I went around to the side where the exhaust discharges and saw a large chunk of hay hung up on the exhaust which was starting to ignite the hay. After feverishly pulling the hay out and making sure it wasn't going to start a fire, I took a moment to consider myself lucky. If it caught, it would have taken the tractor with it and probably set the whole field of hay on fire. Very close call. I don't feel like watching my tractor go up in flames with an entire field while I talk to a 911 operator, so I installed a fire extinguisher. Found a nice spot to hang it on the side of the dash where it's out of the way and easily accessible as well.

Last edited:
   / almost burnt a hay field #2  
Great idea!!:thumbsup: Count your blessings.

/ almost burnt a hay field #3  
That hangs in there quite well. Hope you never need it.

I had a wren build a nest under the hood and behind the exhaust manifold of a two-cyl 420 JD. I was going down the road to some logging work, and could smell smoke. Figured the guys in the woods were starting some brush piles or stirring up the ones from earlier.
When I realized it was coming from under my hood, I scorched some fingers pulling burning twigs from under the hood. An extinguisher would have been a welcome sight at that moment.

/ almost burnt a hay field #4  
Good idea. We should all add one to our tractors. My Oldest Son had his 4000 Ford catch on fire this past spring and he was lucky to be close to water, A fire extinguisher is not something we think much about until it is needed. Ken Sweet

/ almost burnt a hay field #5  
Good idea. We should all add one to our tractors. My Oldest Son had his 4000 Ford catch on fire this past spring and he was lucky to be close to water, A fire extinguisher is not something we think much about until it is needed. Ken Sweet

I just looked on EBAY and it looked like depending the size you could buy a small fire extinguisher with a mounting bracket for between $15 to $50. That is pretty cheap if it saves your tractor or equipment. Not to mention that when working on something in the barn you might catch something on fire and need it. I would be willing to bet that most of us don't have any fire extinguishers there either. I think that the only one that I have is one my wife has in the kitchen that is probably 15 years old. Don't even know if it would work.

/ almost burnt a hay field #7  
FYI, from my training as a CERT member, that fire extinguisher on your tractor will only take out a small trash can size fire. Its always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher at all times on the tractor like I do, but I also have a small ABC type size as well, but I am hoping I never encounter a large fire.

/ almost burnt a hay field #8  
Glad it turned out alright. And a nice adjustment. :thumbsup:

When I first saw the thread under Customization, I thought you were going to tell us how bright your new LED lights were. :cool:

/ almost burnt a hay field #9  
That fire extunguisher is a really good idea. Why don't manuf's offer that?

Maybe because there are many different kinds, and they add to the cost?

Or tractor companies don't mfg fire extinguishers?

They can be found on combines and other equipment operating 100% of the time in dusty conditions. Prolly not so important to them on a CUT. And if one burns up, they might just sell another replacement. :)

And I don't know "why" :D

Why don't they put a handkerchief box holder on our CUTs ?
Or a digital clock?
Or a built-in radio?
Or maybe an iPod?

/ almost burnt a hay field #10  
It has always seemed carzyto me that you are required to have a fire extinguisher if you have a boat but not for a car, truck or tractor..

I have one in each of my cars and one on my tractor..