Adapting a JD series 600/700 quick tach loader bucket to a JD146 loader?

/ Adapting a JD series 600/700 quick tach loader bucket to a JD146 loader? #1  

xzcVAbc5

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Could someone give me some ideas to attach a JD 600/700 series bucket to a JD 146 loader? I think either need to cut/weld/modify brackets on the bucket to fit the attachment on the loader or somehow add a quick attach bracket to the loader to fit the bucket.

Any recommendations would be welcome and thanks in advance.

/ Adapting a JD series 600/700 quick tach loader bucket to a JD146 loader? #2  
I am unfamiliar with those loaders...can you post some pictures?

/ Adapting a JD series 600/700 quick tach loader bucket to a JD146 loader?
I'm pretty slow at getting the pictures you requested, but I had some time while I was driving by the farm and took a few quick ones:

Pictures in order:

1) JD 2440 Tractor
2) JD 146 Loader Front View
3) JD 146 Loader Side View
4) JD 600/700 Series quick tach bucket
5) JD 600/700 Series quick tach bucket closeup

Note: I have no idea why the parts were cut out of the bucket quick tach bracket. The price was right and we knew we were going to have to make something to get this bucket on the 146 loader.

Attachments

• JD2440-146loader.JPG
    JD2440-146loader.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 807
  • 146loaderfront.JPG
    146loaderfront.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 378
  • 146loadersize.JPG
    146loadersize.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 861
  • 600-700bucketcenter.JPG
    600-700bucketcenter.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 372
  • 600-700bucketleft.JPG
    600-700bucketleft.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 378
One thing you may or not be able to tell from the picture is that the cylinder is leaking on the loader right side (or left side in the picture).

I have to figure out how to rebuild the cylinder or reseal it.

The oil on the floor is from a messy oil change on a truck.

/ Adapting a JD series 600/700 quick tach loader bucket to a JD146 loader? #5  
Good pictures Jeff, that helps a lot:thumbsup:

As far as the cylinder-they are easy to rebuilt, but do both of them at the same time.;)

I assume you want to convert your loader to accept the new QA bucket, then convert your spear to QA? Do you want to change to the JD propietary or move to the standardized SSQA (skid steer)

This company have some stuff:
Skid steer hitch adapters any skidsteer tractor loader conversion

Not exactly what you need though-but close.

On other option is to fabricate the loader side "holder" , like #10 in the picture. They are $435 each in JDParts!

Bottom line is this: How much do you want to spend and/or how much fabrication can you do?

My vote would be to convert to SSQA.

Attachments

• 620.gif
    620.gif
    22.1 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Good pictures Jeff, that helps a lot:thumbsup:

As far as the cylinder-they are easy to rebuilt, but do both of them at the same time.;)

Thanks for the tip.

I assume you want to convert your loader to accept the new QA bucket, then convert your spear to QA? Do you want to change to the JD propietary or move to the standardized SSQA (skid steer)

I would like to make the loader hook up to the bucket without modifiying the loader. Whether the bucket gets modified or there is some sort of adapter that can go onto the loader to attach to the bucket (for a reasonable price) is probably what we'll do.

The hayspear is probably going to set in the back of the barn unless something arises that can't be accomplished with the bucket.

The tractor is mainly going to be a snow/rock/dirt scooper depending on the season. It will be doing a little bit of shredding too.

P.S. Where is the best location to weld chain hooks on the bucket? I was thinking one on each side at the top 1/3 of the distance in from the side.

/ Adapting a JD series 600/700 quick tach loader bucket to a JD146 loader? #7  
P.S. Where is the best location to weld chain hooks on the bucket? I was thinking one on each side at the top 1/3 of the distance in from the side.

Inline with the cylinder is best. Also one in the center is OK if used carefully.

/ Adapting a JD series 600/700 quick tach loader bucket to a JD146 loader? #8  
OK Jeff,

I think I have it figured out for you-you will still need to add the proper sized and spaced bushing to the rear of this-but that should be easy if you can do basic welding/fabrication: SSQA to JD 600/700 Adapter

Then you could get one of these for your spear: Latch Box Set

I just don't see how you could do this cheaper and have a QA setup.

Note that since these will move the bucket out away from the pins some,and the added weight of the adapter that lift capacity will be reduced some.

That adapter looks like it would work for what I'm talking about. :thumbsup: