Sand Blaster clogging - need help

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I bought some of the Black Diamond "sand" (think it is 20/40) from Tractor Supply and am trying to use it in a 110lbs Harbor Freight pressured pot sand blaster (and tried a smaller 40lb one also) and it just keeps clogging. I mean before I can blast a single inch. I tried several different tips (think it went to 3.5mm) on a dead man style gun (also tried a ball valve gun) and no luck. The stuff keeps clogging.. any ideas on what I need to do. I been running more than enough air and pressure (took it to max pressure and still no luck).
I am doing larger implements so I have to do it outside and can't use a blast cabinet so I can't really use the more expensive media types.
Thanks

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #2  
It may be a moisture problem.

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #3  
I bought some of the Black Diamond "sand" (think it is 20/40) from Tractor Supply and am trying to use it in a 110lbs Harbor Freight pressured pot sand blaster (and tried a smaller 40lb one also) and it just keeps clogging. I mean before I can blast a single inch. I tried several different tips (think it went to 3.5mm) on a dead man style gun (also tried a ball valve gun) and no luck. The stuff keeps clogging.. any ideas on what I need to do. I been running more than enough air and pressure (took it to max pressure and still no luck).
I am doing larger implements so I have to do it outside and can't use a blast cabinet so I can't really use the more expensive media types.
Thanks

I've tried those HF pressurized blasters--they clog almost immediately.
I use a cheap abrasive gun from TSC

Clarke Hand Held Abrasive Blaster - 3907845 | Tractor Supply Company

and the black diamond grit. Works a lot better than that HF POS.

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #4  
I bought some of the Black Diamond "sand" (think it is 20/40) from Tractor Supply and am trying to use it in a 110lbs Harbor Freight pressured pot sand blaster (and tried a smaller 40lb one also) and it just keeps clogging. I mean before I can blast a single inch. I tried several different tips (think it went to 3.5mm) on a dead man style gun (also tried a ball valve gun) and no luck. The stuff keeps clogging.. any ideas on what I need to do. I been running more than enough air and pressure (took it to max pressure and still no luck). I am doing larger implements so I have to do it outside and can't use a blast cabinet so I can't really use the more expensive media types.
Thanks

You posted this quote before I could! Same equipment, same problems. I bought it new in Sept. and have yet to get it to work with out clogging. However, I've not had the time to fool with it since Sept. It's NOT moisture or oil.
regards,
Steve

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #5  
I feel your frustration because I also have a pressurized sand blaster and also have the clogging issue. At the bottom of the sand blaster tank there should be a valve to regulate the rate of sand flow that enters the hose. Try closing this valve while opening the blasting nozzle then slowly open the sand flow valve. I have found that too much sand entering the hose causes it to the nozzle to clog or the hose to clog.

Also, moisture in the air is a big problem. I hate to discourage you, but if I have a big sand blasting job I just take it to a commerical sand blaster.

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #6  
Ditto what Wrenchturner says but first try to clear the hose by opening the cap and blowing air through the hose (reverse feed). It's not uncommon to get a stone or foreign matter in a bag of media. I run a 300lb. pressure tank with a 1/4" nozzle and still have to clear it once in a while.

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help
Thanks for the info! I do have two moisture traps on the line. One off the compressor and one on the pressure blaster itself so that SHOULD (lets hope) not me a problem. It does seem to jam up at the valve sometimes and I am not sure why but I didn't hold the gun open while trying it (I will not)
Also thinking it is just too course of a media for that unit to throw?????

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #8  
There's a valve on the bottom of the tank to control material flow. It only has to be cracked. If it's opened too far the air pressure in the pot will push too much material into the line. Same for the valve letting air into the pot, though that's not as critical.

That's a good sized sandblaster and will need a LOT of air flow. If you don't have a big compressor it won't keep up causing problems.

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #9  
Mine clogged because of moisture. I had a couple of large water separators in line but that was not enough. I could see clumps of wet sand. It became obvious that i needed a dryer.

Ken

/ Sand Blaster clogging - need help #10  
I have one I hardly use for this exact reason. I have to sift & dry the sand in advance, If i use it from the bag it clogs 1) moisture and 2) some particles are too big for the nosle