JRW snow blower chute rotation mod

/ JRW snow blower chute rotation mod #1  

WBWI

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130
Thanks to the various ideas I've found here I finally added remote power chute rotation to my JRW snow blower. All I needed was 2 sprockets, a cheap 12VDC winch, some #40 roller chain and a couple of steel plates. Oh, working for a company with it's on machine shop made it all possible. I didn't take any still pics yet but have a youtube video of the mod. YouTube - Video 4

/ JRW snow blower chute rotation mod #2  
Nice job Jonathan! I used the same winch motor for my chute rotator on the woods SS-60 then I added a linear actuator to adjust the deflector. Both work okay, but I really like the chain drive you have constructed.

This is the winch motor connected to the chute

coupling.jpg

This is the linear actuator (4" travel) used to lift the diverter. This is a 12 VDC actuator and has worked great in really cold weather.

DSCN1024.jpg

DSCN1027-1.jpg

This shows the controller attached to the back window. Not that easy to use as it is behind me, but know I have only a few places that I have to be really careful with the direction of the snow it has worked fine.
DSCN1029.jpg

/ JRW snow blower chute rotation mod
Wayne, I remember looking at your setup as I was researching option. Everyone has a different approach which makes it really cool. I really had no idea how I was going to mount the winch at first then 1 afternoon it hit me and it could not have been simpler.

I like actuator idea and may have to make it my next project. I remember reading that someone used an actuator from an old large satellite TV antenna. They said it was 24VDC but worked fine at 12VDC.

/ JRW snow blower chute rotation mod #4  
The linear actuator works fine for my application. It has 4" of travel, but I believe 3" would be as much as I would ever use. I found this one at a surplus place and it is 12 VDC. I am sure a 24 VDC one would work fine at half the speed and voltage.

I think you can find them on Ebay most of the time. What size chain are you driving that with? I have to look into tht as an improvement for my system.

/ JRW snow blower chute rotation mod
Wayne, We use #4O roller chain at work so that's what I used. The large sprocket on the chute is a 40A82 (40 chain, 82 tooth) plate sprocket. The sprocket on the winch is a 40B20.

/ JRW snow blower chute rotation mod #6  
WBWI...... very slick ! Watch that 360 degree rotation though, it may land you a faceful of snow. :licking:

Wayne....... what the heck happened to your pictures???