Tractor
    MF GC2410

Default Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch

This is a pull behind Agri Fab plug aerator that I modified to 3 pt hitch. I became tired of operating the lever arm to raise and lower the wheels to clear the driveway and sidewalks - especially with four 100lb cement blocks on board (we have poor soil here in PA). Not to mention the force on the lever arm is a accident waiting to happen with this much weight. I used 1/4"x3"x4" angle that I had laying around to put a frame under the aerator and attach the 3 pt lift arm pins. For the mast, I had some 1-1/2x3" box channel from an old trailer I cut apart. This implement is a breeze to use, now. I move the 100lb cement blocks from the ballast box to the aerator with a chain and the FEL (each block has a lifting eye - see my ballast box post). Instead of wrestling with the lever arm on the aerator, I now use the 3 pt hitch to raise and lower the entire aerator as needed. This will really save my back, and hope this idea can help you too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch-aerator-outside-3-jpg   Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch-aerator-outside-4-jpg   Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch-aerator-outside-6-jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    '07 Kubota BX2350

Default Re: Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch

How well do you think this one follows the contour of the land as compared to when it was a tow behind? I've considered doing the same for all the reasons you mentioned but can't seem to convince myself of this one issue.
    '07 BX2350, FEL w/ toothbar, 60" MMM, 5' KK back blade, BX2750C front snowblower, 42" home built disc, carry all

Tractor
    JD 2720

I like it! I have been threatening my aerator with the conversion for a long time.
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Tractor
    MF GC2410

Thanks Bigtiller. Go for it - the conversion took one weekend to drill, weld and paint. I now use the draw bar from the aerator for the MTD chipper that I now tow behind. What a pain it was dragging that thing around the property by hand.
    Fish 6943 - I leave the 3 pt hitch control lever in the down position so the aerator can float over the countour of the land. The wheels act as my draft control, same as tow behind. I have a hilly lawn, and it follows the contour nicely. One thing to watch though, are turns. Since the aerator is now essentially a part of the tractor, trying to turn with it engaging the ground will place a lot of stress on the 3pt hitch and aerator. So, I only aerate in relatively straight lines. It works like a charm and I can honestly say, it's a pleasure to aerate instead of a chore.