Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch

/ Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch #1  

dsails380

Tractor
MF GC2410
This is a pull behind Agri Fab plug aerator that I modified to 3 pt hitch. I became tired of operating the lever arm to raise and lower the wheels to clear the driveway and sidewalks - especially with four 100lb cement blocks on board (we have poor soil here in PA). Not to mention the force on the lever arm is a accident waiting to happen with this much weight. I used 1/4"x3"x4" angle that I had laying around to put a frame under the aerator and attach the 3 pt lift arm pins. For the mast, I had some 1-1/2x3" box channel from an old trailer I cut apart. This implement is a breeze to use, now. I move the 100lb cement blocks from the ballast box to the aerator with a chain and the FEL (each block has a lifting eye - see my ballast box post). Instead of wrestling with the lever arm on the aerator, I now use the 3 pt hitch to raise and lower the entire aerator as needed. This will really save my back, and hope this idea can help you too.

Attachments

• Aerator Outside (3).JPG
    Aerator Outside (3).JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 986
  • Aerator Outside (4).JPG
    Aerator Outside (4).JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 857
  • Aerator Outside (6).JPG
    Aerator Outside (6).JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,088
   / Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch #2  
How well do you think this one follows the contour of the land as compared to when it was a tow behind? I've considered doing the same for all the reasons you mentioned but can't seem to convince myself of this one issue.

/ Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch #3  
I like it! I have been threatening my aerator with the conversion for a long time.

/ Aerator Conversion to 3 pt Hitch
Thanks Bigtiller. Go for it - the conversion took one weekend to drill, weld and paint. I now use the draw bar from the aerator for the MTD chipper that I now tow behind. What a pain it was dragging that thing around the property by hand.
Fish 6943 - I leave the 3 pt hitch control lever in the down position so the aerator can float over the countour of the land. The wheels act as my draft control, same as tow behind. I have a hilly lawn, and it follows the contour nicely. One thing to watch though, are turns. Since the aerator is now essentially a part of the tractor, trying to turn with it engaging the ground will place a lot of stress on the 3pt hitch and aerator. So, I only aerate in relatively straight lines. It works like a charm and I can honestly say, it's a pleasure to aerate instead of a chore.