Log splitter as a press

/ Log splitter as a press #11  
I have used ours as a press several times before.

Usually I am in a rush and dont worry about the cutting edge. I just sharpen it later before next time I split wood.

I do the same thing. Come to think of it, it needs sharpening now.

/ Log splitter as a press #12  
The press adapter is a 1/2" plate for the bottom, a solid 2x2 for the upright, and a piece of 1" round for the press part.

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply and pictures. Need to find a place to buy small pieces of plate.

J.J., thanks for posting your solution.

/ Log splitter as a press
The tire bead breaker is a good idea, I tried using mine for that once, but it needs a specific shaped adapter to make it work right. Thanks for reminding me of a good winter welding project :)

JJ, is that your splitter? If it is, have you ever had a problem with the cylinder rod bending?

Sean

No, that is not my splitter. If I were to use mine as a press, I would just use the end that is on the cyl rod. A large flat surface. The sliding block of metal is connected to the beam. Very little chance of bending. The shaft in the picture, could perhaps bend.

/ Log splitter as a press #15  
(Slaps forehead...)

Jeez! Why didn't I think of that?? Great idea, thanks for sharing. I've been thinking about buying a press, but didn't want to give up the space in the garage it would require. This is a nice compromise.

/ Log splitter as a press #16  
Along the same lines......
The waste management company recently changed the contract limiting garbage pick up to 0.5 cubic yards. Now with soda & milk jugs and all sorts of other hi volume empty space, I've been thinking about a garbage compactor. Specifically turning an old or cheap log splitter into a compactor for a 55 or 30 gal bbl. May be a short section of steel pipe.

If I'm limited to 0.5 cu yd every week, I want to get as much in there as I can.
In the pre thinking planning, I don't see too much problem to extend the ram out about a foot, making a circular steel top plate and setting a bbl under it to contain the refuse. At 10 ton or so I'd think that would be enough pressure.
Any other projects like this out there?
Thanks... tim

/ Log splitter as a press #17  
Thanks for posting this J.J.
I bought a 3 pt hitch log splitter for my 4200 JD. this season and really love it. While splitting some fire wood I got to thinking, "I do that sometimes", how bout making a cider press to work off this thing. I have many apple trees and I really like cider so I just might build something this year. A log splitter has to have more than just one use, as you have shown us here. Any other ideas out there?
Clayton

I have seen one hydraulic cider press long time ago. It looked like standard press. All the hydraulic parts were on the bottom so it was less likely that oil would contaminate the cider.

/ Log splitter as a press #18  
Along the same ideas, I've been contemplating how to use mine to bend rebar occasionally. Getting too old for the hicky bender.

/ Log splitter as a press #19  
Along the same ideas, I've been contemplating how to use mine to bend rebar occasionally. Getting too old for the hicky bender.

Make a wood jig to do it. I know a guy who bends trailer fenders out of diamond plate on his using a jig.

Chris

/ Log splitter as a press #20  
Along the same lines......
The waste management company recently changed the contract limiting garbage pick up to 0.5 cubic yards. Now with soda & milk jugs and all sorts of other hi volume empty space, I've been thinking about a garbage compactor.

Tim,

While you've got the welder out, why don't you weld up some recycling containers...