Log splitter as a press

/ Log splitter as a press #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
Thought some of you might be interested in this setup. Make an adapter to use you splitter as a press.

Attachments

• press-1.jpg
    press-1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,161
  • press2.jpg
    press2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,665
   / Log splitter as a press #2  
Thanks for posting this J.J.
I bought a 3 pt hitch log splitter for my 4200 JD. this season and really love it. While splitting some fire wood I got to thinking, "I do that sometimes", how bout making a cider press to work off this thing. I have many apple trees and I really like cider so I just might build something this year. A log splitter has to have more than just one use, as you have shown us here. Any other ideas out there?
Clayton

/ Log splitter as a press #4  
I did the same thing about 5 years ago with my splitter also. Mine is a 3 point splitter that runs off the tractors remotes. The main difference between mine and JJ's is mine has a fixed foot and the wedge moves in a track on the beam and is attached to the ram. I simply made a press piece that goes in place of the wedge.

You just pull the pin on the end of the piston rod, tilt the cylinder up 90 deg, slide the ram out, put the press piece in, drop the cylinder back down and install the pin.

Used it quite a few times.

Chris

/ Log splitter as a press #6  
I have used ours as a press several times before.

Usually I am in a rush and dont worry about the cutting edge. I just sharpen it later before next time I split wood.

/ Log splitter as a press #7  
The tire bead breaker is a good idea, I tried using mine for that once, but it needs a specific shaped adapter to make it work right. Thanks for reminding me of a good winter welding project :)

JJ, is that your splitter? If it is, have you ever had a problem with the cylinder rod bending?

Sean

/ Log splitter as a press #8  
I did the same thing about 5 years ago with my splitter also. Mine is a 3 point splitter that runs off the tractors remotes. The main difference between mine and JJ's is mine has a fixed foot and the wedge moves in a track on the beam and is attached to the ram. I simply made a press piece that goes in place of the wedge.

You just pull the pin on the end of the piston rod, tilt the cylinder up 90 deg, slide the ram out, put the press piece in, drop the cylinder back down and install the pin.

Used it quite a few times.

Chris

I have the same setup. Could you post a picture of the press piece? How thick is the material?
Thanks.

/ Log splitter as a press #9  
Thought some of you might be interested in this setup. Make an adapter to use you splitter as a press.

Yup, heard about it before, great idea and you show some good starters tooling.
Thank, JB

A log splitter has to have more than just one use, as you have shown us here. Any other ideas out there?
Clayton

Mine sits 363 days a year, spend more time cleaning carb and mouse nests than splitting.
I got my tow behind for a deal I couldn't refuse, otherwise I couldn't justify owning one, would just rent one for a couple days.

...... but it needs a specific shaped adapter to make it work right. Thanks for reminding me of a good winter welding project :)

Sean

That's what's needed, all specific tools, dies etc. I'm surprised Northern Tool has cornered the market yet. Seems like something you would see in their pages.

The depth of the work is limited due to the beam though. Probably why it hasn't really caught on.
Pipe, bar, tubing like jake mentioned should be ideal with the right dies.

Wonder if they would work to shear steel like those iron worker machines.

JB.

/ Log splitter as a press #10  
I have the same setup. Could you post a picture of the press piece? How thick is the material?
Thanks.

I built this splitter a few years ago. Could not find what I wanted on the market. Anyway, here are the pics. You can see it with the later built press adapter sitting on it. Total cost was $450

The press adapter is a 1/2" plate for the bottom, a solid 2x2 for the upright, and a piece of 1" round for the press part.

Chris

Attachments

• log splitter 002.jpg
    log splitter 002.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,672
  • log splitter 005.jpg
    log splitter 005.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 756
  • log splitter 004.jpg
    log splitter 004.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 762
  • IMAG0156.JPG