Building A Frame For Cab

/ Building A Frame For Cab #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
I have purchased a golf cart cab from Northern Tool for $100, It is vinyl and met to fit over a golf cart. It has two zipper doors and a zipper in the rear.

It is 60" long by 43" wide and hangs down 58". I want to put it on a Kubota BX2200 to keep the snow off me when using the 3pt snowblower. I was thinking of putting a plywood top on the ROPS and using electrical conduit to form a frame for the front supports. Questions I have are as follows:

1. Is electrical conduit the best material? I have never used the material but it looks strong and cheap. How tight can you bend the material or is it better to just use separate 90’s and 45’s?The other thought I had was copper tubing, but I think that would be more $$. I can not weld and do not want to pay someone to make a frame.
2. I want to cut the vinyl and install grommets to secure the sides to the tractor, any idea where to get them and how to cut the vinyl?
3. Any idea how to join vinyl, tape , glue?

Thanks

Tom

/ Building A Frame For Cab #2  
Yes you could use 1" or 3/4" EMT conduit, with seperate fittings for tight joints. 1/2" might collapse to easily. We once had a 3/4" EMT frame attached to our Cushman Trakster that held up under the weight of two quarters of moose meat from our camp to the highway.

/ Building A Frame For Cab #3  
I know places like Home Depot and Lowes carries grommets. They come in kits of 10-15 grommets for $5-6 or something like that. I expect about any hardware store would also have them. They come with the anvil, the punch looking device and a simple hole punch you smack with a hammer.

As an option, I have seen several types of contraptions built out of PVC pipe. You would be using a little larger diameter stuff but it is cheap and easy to work. The electrical conduit is certainly suitable for this application and if you bend it with a conduit bender I would estimate that the radiuses would be 6" or so.

Greg

/ Building A Frame For Cab #4  
Tom.

I'm going to be real interested to see how you make out. I've been eyeing those golf cart cabs from Northern for a couple of years to make a cheap shelter on my B2910. I just have too many projects around here that need doing first. Please keep us updated on your progress. And post lots of pics if you can.

Thanks,

Rick

/ Building A Frame For Cab
I took a trip to HomeDepot today and checked out the EMT tubing and the grommets, they had both. This will be a Xmas project with a few days off and between parties and visiting. I will let you know how it works out, I figure for about $125 I should have something to keep the snow off of me, I think I will use it a lot this winter!...More to follow.

Tom

/ Building A Frame For Cab #6  
I put together just such a rig using the golf cart enclosure from Northern last year. The pictures are posted here at TBN. Just seach for winter cab and you should find the link easily.
My frame consists of piece of plywood for top with rounded corners to fit size of cover and a front frame bolted on using existing FEL bolts. The plywood rests on top and is wired to the ROPS and also attached to front frame. The vinyl cover just drapes of the plywood top. It works GREAT

/ Building A Frame For Cab #7  
Velcro might be another option for you. You can buy it in long strips with adhesive on the backs.

/ Building A Frame For Cab #8  
I'm on my second revision. Last year I used 1/2" EMT and the adhesive velcro. The velcro works well but you need to apply it when both parts are warm to get a lasting grip. I think I'm going to add some snaps at the ends and corners where the wind really wants to whip it around. I'm also stitching it onto the plastic and using seam sealer. I'm reworking the door using tablecloth cover material and a locktite adhesive the rep suggested. It SEEMS to work well but due to slow setup time I won't have it done until monday.

Good luck,
Michael

/ Building A Frame For Cab
Anyone know if they sell T's and 4 way, in EMT, Home Depot only had 90's. If not do you think copper T's would work?

Michael,

Where did you get the seam sealer and locktite adhesive from?

Thanks

Tom

/ Building A Frame For Cab #10  
You can get a "T", but it is a conduit body for EMT and it is probably not what you're looking for
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hubbellonline.com/wiring/killark/pdf/f/f_two.pdf>Killark Brand Set screw type</A>

Copper Tees are not going to match up to EMT