How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #1  

gsdavis1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 855
I am looking to add a custom front mounted hydraulic pump to my Mitsubishi MT180HD. I was hoping for some ideas from all of you here.

I was thinking I could use a shaft with a rag joint. But I have been unable to find where to buy generic shafts. Or I could use a small shaft with universal joints. It wont have to be big or long. The engine is 18hp and the pump will be mounted fairly close.

Does anyone have any pictures of their front PTO setup? Also, what are your recommendations for the pump size to power a loader and power steering.

Thank you everyone

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #2  
I have seen alot of cement trucks with huge hydraulic pumps mounted out the front, which means they are driven off of the crank. Some tractors have a splined shaft on the crank end but I have not used that method myself. You could put in a electric clutch pack from the crank then the staring should be easier.

Craig Clayton

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #3  
Can you run it with V-belts? I would think that would make the installation much easier. Maybe swap out the crank pulley for one with some extra sheaves so you could run 2 or 3 belts to the pump, if needed?

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump
I do not have the room for a belt driven pump. It will have to be powered by the crankshaft.

Does anyone know where to get little drive shafts?

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #5  
Have you checked Surplus Center? They are a sponsor and there is a link on the first forum page.

Chris

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #6  
Both my case BH and dozer use a crank mounted pump. It make life hard when it comes time to change a belt. You will either need the room between the radiator and the crank pulley or a cut out in your radiator. One of my IHC trucks was a pumper. It had a front bumper mounted water pump and a hole through the radiator for the drive shaft.

The case hydraulic pump mounts to the engine. The way it mounts is part of the pump has a bracket that straddles each side of the pulley and has a coupler that bolts to the pulley. The pumper truck's pulley just had a bracket bolted to it that the u-joint bolted to it.

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #7  
Here's one possibility: a crankshaft extension used to hook on a pto clutch.

John Deere F935 Yanmar Diesel Engine PTO Stub Shaft - eBay (item 370462824591 end time Mar-02-11 21:53:58 PST)

Then all you need is a coupler. Not sure if its a direct connect, but it has the torque capability.

Also these tractors have a flex connector coupling the engine to the transmission. You could adapt that system to your equippment. Search on eBay for the Yanmar equipped diesel drivelines for specifics. You would have to support the pump housing somehow, with a flex coupling. Solid coupling probably not...

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #8  
I added a crank pump to my 1953 Ford Jubilee:

The pump is direct drive off the front crankshaft pulley. Ford makes a splined pulley to add a shaft for such purposes. I added that pump and tank I am guessing about 24 years ago when I found the FEL for $750.00. Obviously the tank is home made from three sections of 1/4" wall x 10" dia pipe I scavenged. I installed a 149 micron suction strainer and a 10 micron return filter. The tank easily holds 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid. The pump is cast iron ~ 12 GPM @ 2000 RPM from Northern. I think one time or another they were called Northern Hydraulics? I have large bore 2.5" ID FEL cylinders and a BH so I opted for the ! 12GPM flow rate. With smaller FEL cylinders I would probably go in the ~10 GPM range near your "tach red line"

Here are a few close ups of that pump:

Suggested parts source

Bolt something like this to your front pulley, add a splined shaft and a "love Joy" (Surplus Center) coupler between the shaft and the hydraulic pump:

wm_290421.jpg

Larry

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #9  
I do not have the room for a belt driven pump. It will have to be powered by the crankshaft.

Does anyone know where to get little drive shafts?

Clark Transmission Fairfield NJ has all kinds of power transmission stuff, if they're still around.

/ How to add a crank mounted hydraulic pump #10  
check out what we call "broom tractors" on a road construction site. basically farm tractors with sweeper brooms on the front, ran off a large crank mount hyd pump. very easy to set up with the way a double-roller chain connects the two shafts inline. they usually follow the milling machine around and clean up before the paver comes through