Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch

/ Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Hey guys,
I had some Basspro gift cards that were sitting around collecting dust and decided to use them on an electric winch for my log arch. I built the log arch last year and it has come in handy for the most part, the only mistake I made was buying a cheapo winch from Northern Tool. It broke the first time I used it. Since then, I have used a cumalong which really isn't all that convenient, so I decided to upgrade to ultimate laziness. :laughing:

I bought the Superwinch Terra 4500 ATV Winch from Basspro for 37 dollars after gift cards and coupon code. It comes with wiring for a permanent mount installation but I would like to make it portable.

I will weld a piece of square tubing to the top of my log arch that will accept the 2" winch mount hitch I am getting for it. I want to be able to slide it from the log arch, to my truck hitch, and back, fairly easy. My truck already has a 7 pin connector on it.

Is it possible to wire up a 7 pin connector to the winch? Or is that easiest way? If so, can I easily wire a 7 pin female end to my tractor?

Do you have any better ideas that you could suggest to me?
I'm only saying the 7 pin connector because that is what's already there, but if there is a better way to do it then I'm all ears. :D

The tractor is an L4610 if that matters. I'll post a pic of the log arch.

Attachments

• P1000445.JPG
    P1000445.JPG
    791.4 KB · Views: 995
  • P1000460.jpg
    P1000460.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 799
  • P1000613.jpg
    P1000613.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 689
   / Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #2  
Do a google search for " fork lift battery connector". They handle lots of current and are easy to connect/disconnect. I've seen these same connectors on the grills of tow trucks so the operator can plug in his jumper cables without popping his hood.

/ Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #3  
Do you have any better ideas that you could suggest to me?
I'm only saying the 7 pin connector because that is what's already there, but if there is a better way to do it then I'm all ears. :D

First the 7- pin connector is for LIGHTING ONLY not for heavy amperage drain of a winch.
The Receiver Mount sounds like a good idea to me, interchangeability is a plus.
Wire up a new circuit with relay, using an HD Connector and Fused Power Line from the battery.

Find out the amperage draw of the winch and wire accordingly.

Give us the Winch Specs ?

/ Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #4  
Her is a link to some ebay ones. I know someone else on this site used some off ebay. I was surprised how cheap some were. I think you ned somthing like this to be beefy to handle the amps and also, they will last better. and also have better contact area.
fork lift battery connector items - Get great deals on Business Industrial items on eBay.com!
I admit I myself used a male and female 110 volt 'regular' household connectors (Mine were used) they work fine for me. But with the new cost Its probably better to go with these.

/ Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #5  

Attachments

• P1230004.JPG
    P1230004.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 450
  • P1230005.JPG
    P1230005.JPG
    371.2 KB · Views: 480
  • P1230003.JPG
    P1230003.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 651
   / Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #6  
One of the cool things about this type of connector is that there's no male or female. Both sides are the same, and yet polarity is maintained. This allows you to keep a handful of them around and you can connect them to the load side, the supply side, or make extensions. Nifty.

/ Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch
   / Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch
Are those the ones I would need?

I hope so, because I just ordered 3 of them :laughing: one for tractor, one for winch, and one for truck.

I might be able to get some 2awg welding lead wire from some friends, it is 200A rated so that should be fine right?

/ Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #9  
I hope so, because I just ordered 3 of them :laughing: one for tractor, one for winch, and one for truck.

I might be able to get some 2awg welding lead wire from some friends, it is 200A rated so that should be fine right?

These work great:thumbsup: I've had one for years on the boat trailer. The connector should say what gauge wire it can take, since you won't be going a long distance on a tractor I'd go by that. Grainger's also sells a lock-out cover that can double as a dirt protector.

/ Wiring electric winch plug for Log arch winch #10  
By using one on the tractor and one on the truck you can jump either by just plugging in.

If it was me I would play it safe and go with the higher amperage rated connectors, not much more money and you will be sure if for some reason you have a long pull or the tractor needs more of a jump start than anticipated you will not heat things up too much.

A car type battery can push out some heavy amperage for a short time when it is asked to and it can do damage if not treated properly.

I use the 350 amp connector for all battery connections as with the winch or jumping a vehicle.