chain and strap storage?

/ chain and strap storage? #1  

HiTechTed

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I want to build myself a metal box to put up front (maybe down at the bottom of the brush guard) to store chains and tow straps in. I've seen one example on here that somebody made with a cnc plasma cutter but I'd like to see some other examples if you guys have made something for this purpose. It shouldn't be a difficult project (even I can make a box with a lid) but I'd like to see some other examples. The more the merrier!

/ chain and strap storage? #2  
If you get much rain or moisture maybe have some drainage hole in the bottom so straps and chains don't get moldy or rusty. A plastic milk crate works for me on the fender.

/ chain and strap storage?
If you get much rain or moisture maybe have some drainage hole in the bottom so straps and chains don't get moldy or rusty. A plastic milk crate works for me on the fender.

The drainage holes are a good idea. And while I'm at it, could you guys point me to some good quality tow straps? The ones I got at a local farm supply have ripped on me and I bent one of the hooks. It's probably my fault, I use them to drag trees and things around with because they are easier to handle than chains IMO....+

/ chain and strap storage? #4  
Check out the box 4shorts made for the front of his Kubota.

/ chain and strap storage? #5  
I am acutally in the process of adding a chian storeage box to my grill guard for the front of my Kubota M9540. I plan to cut a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage and a 2" receiver because they always come in handy. I hope to be done this weekend or early next week. Will post pics then.

/ chain and strap storage? #6  

Those chains and strap brackets are rust magnets. I would suggest using a grate or expanded metal for the bottom. That would also drain better if the stuff is used in the mud.

Those chains and strap brackets are rust magnets. I would suggest using a grate or expanded metal for the bottom. That would also drain better if the stuff is used in the mud.

An even better idea! Plus I already have some expanded metal I can use. I think I've seen the one 4shorts made.

I am acutally in the process of adding a chian storeage box to my grill guard for the front of my Kubota M9540. I plan to cut a couple of holes in the bottom for drainage and a 2" receiver because they always come in handy. I hope to be done this weekend or early next week. Will post pics then.

Great, pics are always good!

/ chain and strap storage? #9  
I just used a cat litter box that has a snap on lid. It is about 14 inches tall and 10 inches square. I keep tow straps, lifting straps, a couple of ratchet straps in it usually.

Last summer I added in some paper towels, torpedo level and line marking paint. I use the line marking paint to mark the rocks I find while mowing the field....

I've looked at several options for metal boxes and such and haven't found anything that suits me. Unfortunately, most of the plastic one's out there aren't very sturdy or suited for the cold we get up here.

regardless, a drain hole is important. Even a "damp" strap will cause condensation to build up over time.

/ chain and strap storage? #10  
I know you wanted a metal box but I use a piece of 4" ABS pipe bolted to the loader upright to store chains and straps -- the bottom is a cap with a couple of drainage holes drilled in it.