top link lifting force lbs.

/ top link lifting force lbs. #1  

spo307

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota L4400
my jd kba disk wheel carrier needs a new piston, I have a new top link piston that I can use Surplus Center - 2X11X1.18 CAT I HYD DA TOP LINK CYL
would this lift a kba disk with new 20" disk, and a beefed up frame?
old piston
kbadisk2010-08-30_9.jpg

/ top link lifting force lbs. #2  
Not sure what you are asking for here:confused2:

Are you just wanting to replace the cylinder in the photo?? If so, just use the same size.

But it kinda sounds like you are wanting to convert it to a 3PH and use a hydraulic TL cylinder, instead of it being a drag behind w/ wheels.

If that is the case, you need a good estimation of how much the disk weighs, and how far behind the 3PH linkage the center of mass of the disk is.

And it will also make a difference in which mounting hole you use for the toplink. The higher the point on the tractor, the more it can lift. But at first glance, I am going to say that it will probabally lift it just fine. That cylinder with 2500PSI will have a retract force of 5100lbs:thumbsup:

/ top link lifting force lbs. #3  
The top link cylinder would have a swivel eye on each end. Who can tell us the correct name for these balls? Four letters? 10 worthless points if you can. The disc cylinder has a clevis on each end. Go to TSC and buy an identical replacement cylinder. Keep the new cylinder under your bed at night, and it will out live you.:D

/ top link lifting force lbs.
sorry, the piston needs to be replaced, i have a new top link piston and was thinking of using it, I would have to fabricate 2 clevises for it, I was looking to save money, I dont know the lifting capacities of a top link piston. disk weighs around 800 to 1k lbs. I bought the disk like the and was wondering why it was mounted backwards

/ top link lifting force lbs. #5  
The top link cylinder would have a swivel eye on each end. Who can tell us the correct name for these balls? Four letters? 10 worthless points if you can. The disc cylinder has a clevis on each end. Go to TSC and buy an identical replacement cylinder. Keep the new cylinder under your bed at night, and it will out live you.:D

heim

Well $**T, reply has to be at least 5 characters long:laughing: Darn TBN rules:laughing

/ top link lifting force lbs. #6  
Thank you, I hate appearing to be stupid. Today's word is "heim".:thumbsup:

/ top link lifting force lbs. #7  
For about $100 you can get one you won't have to cut up for it to work. Seems like a waste of a top link cylinder, unless you just dont have the money.

/ top link lifting force lbs. #8  
I have found that often times it is cheaper to spend the money and go forward.
I broke the cast rod end cap on a smaller cylinder of the same type. It was cheaper to buy a new cylinder $105 than to buy just the cap. They had it in stock, it was new, and I could continue my project immediately.

I would put the rod towards the rear so the hoses did not have to move as much. Obviously the hoses need to be tied up above the tongue. I made a 2' high rod with loop bolted to the tongue to support the hoses near hitch pin.

/ top link lifting force lbs. #9  
I'd think the top link hyd cyl will lift the disk. Might just be a shorter stroke.

But to save money, seems it would be worth a try (maybe jury rig it into place with chains and clevis to see if you have enough hyd psi to make it happen).

/ top link lifting force lbs. #10  
sorry, the piston needs to be replaced, i have a new top link piston and was thinking of using it, I would have to fabricate 2 clevises for it, I was looking to save money, I dont know the lifting capacities of a top link piston. disk weighs around 800 to 1k lbs. I bought the disk like the and was wondering why it was mounted backwards

That hydraulic top link you have sells new at $200. A 3" X 12" stroke cylinder for that disc is $120 @ TSC. Sell the top link if you aren't going to use it and buy the cylinder.