Straight bush hog gearbox

/ Straight bush hog gearbox #1  

Bncrshr77

Hello,
New to the forums and can't find what I'm looking for anywhere on the net..
I'm looking to turn a used pto driven 4 or 5ft bush hog into a motor driven pull behind cutter...

I'm sure the bush hog I buy will have a 90 degree gearbox on it......I'm looking for a gearbox or a way to build something so the shaft sticks straight up instead of forward.....This is so I can attach a pulley on it to line up with my 18hp B&S vertical shaft engine.

Anyone have any ideas?

/ Straight bush hog gearbox #2  
you will need more than that. you will likely need a gearbox reducer.. something that a pto genset would use, to drop that 3600 engine rpm to 540.

I got news for you too.. you will also need a clutch mechanism or you will have a task starting it.. AND.. an 18hp whizzbang ain't gonna like a 5' mower once it hits something other than some bahia blacktop seed heads..

I think you need to go back to paper before you start buying anything..

( another option is to have the engine run a hyd pump, and use a motor control valve and a hyd motor to turn the blades... takes care of a few of your problems right there...

ps.. mke sure you leave some sort of driveline torque limiter in place.. many hace a soft bolt at the pto shaft to gearbox input shaft.. or a slip clutch at one side of the pto, depending on modle..

soundguy

/ Straight bush hog gearbox
I have already looked into the RPM reduction and PTO clutch.....I was assuming that if it is belt drive the belt would slip before anything tore up but will look into a torque limiter of some sort.

I don't know anything about the hydraulic side of the house but I guess I'll do some looking into it now..

I totally agree about going back to the drawing board!!!

Thanks!

/ Straight bush hog gearbox #4  
wow.. a belt driven hog.. for a finish mower I'd do it.. but for a hog... well.. since it's only being driven by n 18hp engine.. I guess you might as well stack as much against it as you can :)

at least you can do some rpm matching using pulley sets... and eat some efficieny along the way as well.

good luck.. I want to see pics when it is done. Make ole rube envious!

soundguy

I've been looking into hydro setups since you mentioned them....Seem pretty interesting so far......I'm sure I will thoroughly confuse myself with it for a few days!!

One question I have is would a "two stage" hydro pump for a log splitter work for a bush hog??? There are several on e-bay that are around the GPM flow I would need and they are designed for 3600rpm engine.

/ Straight bush hog gearbox #6  
2 stage are fast unloaded, then strong, but slower ( less gpm ) loaded. IMHO.. I would not specifically be looking for a 2 stage..

soundguy

Guess I'll go ahead and ask those of you that have the knowledge with hydraulics.....

What hydraulic size/type pump and motor would you recommend for the project I'm looking in to?

18hp Vertical shaft B&S and 4 or 5 ft Bush Hog.....I'm using the Vertical shaft because I have two of them in the barn off of mowers.

Thanks!

/ Straight bush hog gearbox #8  
Proper tensioned belts don't slip too much - I wouldn't count on that being the weak link. More likely is bogging down. How about using both engines, with two pulleys and belts? Enough power then, divided drive so maybe less chance of shock damage to engine shafts. And a better Rube G. photo opportunity!
Jim

/ Straight bush hog gearbox #9  
Maybe you should consider removing the gearbox completely and then make a new spindle to support the blades / stump jumper. This way you can have a much simpler setup with a belt drive directly from the motor. A heavy trailer hub might do the trick. Seems a shame to spend so much on a hydraulic or mechanical work around for this. For the cost of a modified trailer spindle you might have a much cleaner design.

Can you trade someone two vertical shaft motors for one horizontal?

I've been looking into the Hydraulic set-ups and it would be lots of money to go that route.....

I like the idea of taking the gearbox off and making a new spindle. I've read that using about a 10" and 4" pulley set up will give me a good blade speed..

Looking at the DR and Swisher type pull behinds and the engine size they use I'm figuring that I should be ok with an 18 horse??