How to extend PTO shaft thru PTO hyd pump?

/ How to extend PTO shaft thru PTO hyd pump? #1  

glarsonmidusa

Tractor
Massey Ferguson Super 90
pump 1 small.jpg
I have a Massey Ferguson Super 90. It has a MF loader that is powered by a PTO mounted hyd pump. I have attached a pic. The pump just floats on the PTO shaft and it wobbles a little. Chains keep the pump from spinning around when it is delivering pressure. Here is my problem. The PTO shaft doesn't extend out the back side of the pump and so makes my PTO unusable for PTO driven implements like a mower. I think I should be able to purchase some kind of PTO extension. Anyone have this problem? Solved it? Glenn

Last edited:
   / How to extend PTO shaft thru PTO hyd pump? #2  
I don't know if this would do what you want. My thought was you could stick one end into the pump, and the other could attach to the shaft of the mower. It seems like that would be way too dangerous, especially since it would likely be unretained, and wobbly.

With a bit of cobbling/fabrication you could mount the PTO pump above, maybe, and put a 1:1 gear ratio chain drive from the PTO shaft to a sprocket on the pump, then have the PTO stub on the tractor free for the mower. It may be easier to move the PTO pump to the engine and drive it off a shaft, belt, or chain up there.

/ How to extend PTO shaft thru PTO hyd pump? #3  
Personally, I would consider plumbing into the tractor's hydraulic system, before doing that. Your loader may not be as fast, but would totally free up the PTO, and be a tad safer..

Just my 2 cents...

/ How to extend PTO shaft thru PTO hyd pump? #4  
If you know the flow required, replace the pump with one of the newer PTO Pumps. The shaft passes through the pump. You would still need a long enough PTO shaft to make it useful. Might be worth looking in to.

/ How to extend PTO shaft thru PTO hyd pump? #6  
just get like an 8" extended pto shaft stub.. latch on to your shaft then slip pump on.. then you have a stub out the rar.

you can also stabilize that pump with a lil bit of bracketmagic... make it less wobbly..

tsc carries the 8" extensions..

soundguy