When adding lights to a tractor......

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #1  

Gobblin Tom

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 JD 2520
How do you do your wiring? Do you run wires directly to the battery, the alternater, splice into existing wires?? What is the best way to wire the aftermarket lights and how big and how many lights can you add to a tractor?? I have a new JD 2520 coming any time now and want to make sure it's lit up for night work. I would like to add my own switches for the extra lights also. Thanks in advance!!!!

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #2  
There are alot of threads that address this question and there are alot of ways that it can be done and most of they are effetive depending on your tractor. I would suggest that you do a search and be ready to read alot! :D

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #3  
do you want the lights to come one with other lamps? if so, use the other lamp wire to activate a relay, then use that relay to run your lamps.

fuse accordingly.

soundguy

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #4  
I just completed a similar project. Here's my thread about that:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/202830-about-cause-electrical-fire.html

I wanted the work lights to come on separately from the other lights, so I wired them along with a fuse and switch to the 12-V DC outlet that came with the tractor. I'm very pleased with the illumination provided by the pair of 500-lumen LED lights, along with their low power demands. I've trained the one spotlight on the ground some 10-20 feet behind my finish mower, but it can still adequately illuminate the ground some 50-60 feet behind. If you need more "throw" such that only incandescent or halogen lights can provide, you'll probably need to pay closer attention to the drain on your electrical system.

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #5  
Some models offer connection point..under fender,dash etc.etc.your local dealer/tech could save you lot of time by asking..also if fusing needed for protection.

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #6  
Tractor data lists a 2520 (3 cyl.) as only having a 20 amp charging circuit. I don't know if that's true but if so the alternator may not have enough power for additional lighting. Especially a pair of 55W lights. Be careful what you add so you don't overload the electricals and burn up a harness or the alternator.

/ When adding lights to a tractor......
Tractor data lists a 2520 (3 cyl.) as only having a 20 amp charging circuit. I don't know if that's true but if so the alternator may not have enough power for additional lighting. Especially a pair of 55W lights. Be careful what you add so you don't overload the electricals and burn up a harness or the alternator.

I believe the 2520 has a 40amp alternater?? Maybe somebody else can verify that? I was looking at the LED lights but man are they expensive!

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #8  
a pair of 55w lamps draws a lil less than 8a.... E=IR, P=EI.. use about 14v for E for alternator charge volts.. though in reality it should be somewhere between 13.8 and 14.7 depending on the vreg used and overall load. 12.6v for battery only, .. like when the unit is turned off.

a 20a alternator, if that is what it is 'rated' for is going to like to be run at 16a continous load or less.. IE.. 80% duty cycle .. it will run at higher than that for shorter periods.. all depends on what specs they rated it for..

soundguy

/ When adding lights to a tractor......
Just looked at JD's website, the 2520 has a 40 amp. Alternater.... what does that mean for lights?

/ When adding lights to a tractor...... #10  
40a rated.. then safe to use 32a continously.

saving some to charge the battery and dash and solenoids.... say.. 10a.. that leaves you 22a for incandescents..that's about 300w of lamps.. thus your pair of 55 = 110, then figure the built in lamps.. etc.. unless that thing has monster lamps already.. you are way in the green...

soundguy