Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?

/ Post hole digger to Quick Hitch? #1  

SSdoxie

Elite Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225
Has anyone out there modified the boom on a Post hole digger to hook up to a 3 point quick hitch. I have all my attachments set up no to use off the QH except have to remove it for the PHD. If anyone has done it and has pics would be greatly appreciated.

/ Post hole digger to Quick Hitch? #2  
Take a closer look at the geometry of the post hole digger. When attached to the quick hitch, you would have very limited working lift range. It would be easy to hook up and would look nice on there, but the functionality would suffer.

/ Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?
I think I can overcome the geometry with hydrualic top link, but I hit my first road block today. The A frame won't fit the Quick Attach, needs to be 1/2" wider on each side or 1 1/2" narrower.

/ Post hole digger to Quick Hitch? #4  
Please post pictures of your modification; but I agree with Xskier concerning the geometry being all wrong.

/ Post hole digger to Quick Hitch? #5  
Take a closer look at the geometry of the post hole digger. When attached to the quick hitch, you would have very limited working lift range. It would be easy to hook up and would look nice on there, but the functionality would suffer.

I was thinking it would work if you took the top link off the tractor and took the A-frame off the PHD then you use the QH as the A-Frame for the PHD.

/ Post hole digger to Quick Hitch? #6  
I tryed that a few years ago the geometry changed to much from up to down position.

I decided to bring this thread back to life now that I've had a couple days to get started on the Post Hole digger mount to QH mode. For all those that advised me of the geometry problem, Thank You. It will not work without using Hydraulic Top Link. On mine I would loose about 18" of travel without moving the top link.

First came the top link, I did this a few months ago. I modified a short grapple cylinder that I had laying around, used a rod eye end from an extra top link cut it to link and weld to base of the cylinder to same length as original top link.
Then the PHD: Relocted the lower lift pins to clear the lock taps on QH, moved them forward and slightly down.
Cut the PHD tube off same length as top link fully retracted. Then notched out bottom of the tube for QH hook to slide in.
The bar stock added on top is (3) 1/4" pieces to match width of the hook. They help pull the digger up tight and reduce side movement of the gear box when under torque.
To mount it: Drop the lift pins in lower hooks, raise end of PHD boom to slide pin through the hook, the raise little more and slide smaller hitch pin in.
Getting alot of pics here so will start another reply showing the movement.

Attachments

• top link made from grapple cyl.jpg
    top link made from grapple cyl.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,018
  • Relocate lift pins for frame clearanc.JPG
    Relocate lift pins for frame clearanc.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 657
  • Inside of auger A frame, brace interference.JPG
    Inside of auger A frame, brace interference.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 583
  • Notch in auger tube for QH hook.jpg
    Notch in auger tube for QH hook.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 634
  • frame ready to hook up.jpg
    frame ready to hook up.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 694
  • Set auger in lower lift points.jpg
    Set auger in lower lift points.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 782
  • raise rear auger frame to slide pin in hook.jpg
    raise rear auger frame to slide pin in hook.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 662
  • auger frame locked on.jpg
    auger frame locked on.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,050
1st pic is with 3pt down and top link retracted, end of boom 22" off ground.
2nd is with top link extended part way, boom hits the ground.
3rd & 4th pics are at fully raised top link retracted = 6'. Gear box with auger are 4'8" so I should have plenty of height.

If weather holds tomorrow I will get neighbor to help hang gear box and auger back on, stress test my welding and maybe shoot a little video.

Attachments

• 3pt lowered, top link retracted, 22 inches to ground.jpg
    3pt lowered, top link retracted, 22 inches to ground.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 929
  • 3pt lowered, top link extended part way, touched gound.jpg
    3pt lowered, top link extended part way, touched gound.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,164
  • at full lift.jpg
    at full lift.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 999
  • At full lift height, top link retracted, 6 ft .jpg
    At full lift height, top link retracted, 6 ft .jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 694
   / Post hole digger to Quick Hitch? #9  
Good luck SSdoxie... Let us know the out come

/ Post hole digger to Quick Hitch? #10  
Well have you used it? Did it work good?