Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?

Has anyone out there modified the boom on a Post hole digger to hook up to a 3 point quick hitch. I have all my attachments set up no to use off the QH except have to remove it for the PHD. If anyone has done it and has pics would be greatly appreciated.

Tractor
    '11 Deere 1026R

Take a closer look at the geometry of the post hole digger. When attached to the quick hitch, you would have very limited working lift range. It would be easy to hook up and would look nice on there, but the functionality would suffer.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Re: Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?

I think I can overcome the geometry with hydrualic top link, but I hit my first road block today. The A frame won't fit the Quick Attach, needs to be 1/2" wider on each side or 1 1/2" narrower.

Tractor
    A couple

Please post pictures of your modification; but I agree with Xskier concerning the geometry being all wrong.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 2320

Quote Originally Posted by XSKIER View Post
    Take a closer look at the geometry of the post hole digger. When attached to the quick hitch, you would have very limited working lift range. It would be easy to hook up and would look nice on there, but the functionality would suffer.
    I was thinking it would work if you took the top link off the tractor and took the A-frame off the PHD then you use the QH as the A-Frame for the PHD.

DDT
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740/cab with air ride seat

I tryed that a few years ago the geometry changed to much from up to down position.
    Kubota L5740 with Air Ride Grammer Seat,cab,Hyd top link, LA854 loader, LA2184 front blade. Kubota RTV 900 Camo. 04 Dodge/cummins-6 speed with extras

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

I decided to bring this thread back to life now that I've had a couple days to get started on the Post Hole digger mount to QH mode. For all those that advised me of the geometry problem, Thank You. It will not work without using Hydraulic Top Link. On mine I would loose about 18" of travel without moving the top link.

First came the top link, I did this a few months ago. I modified a short grapple cylinder that I had laying around, used a rod eye end from an extra top link cut it to link and weld to base of the cylinder to same length as original top link.
    Then the PHD: Relocted the lower lift pins to clear the lock taps on QH, moved them forward and slightly down.
    Cut the PHD tube off same length as top link fully retracted. Then notched out bottom of the tube for QH hook to slide in.
    The bar stock added on top is (3) 1/4" pieces to match width of the hook. They help pull the digger up tight and reduce side movement of the gear box when under torque.
    To mount it: Drop the lift pins in lower hooks, raise end of PHD boom to slide pin through the hook, the raise little more and slide smaller hitch pin in.
    Getting alot of pics here so will start another reply showing the movement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-top-link-made-grapple-cyl.jpg   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-relocate-lift-pins-frame-clearanc.jpg   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-inside-auger-frame-brace-interference.jpg   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-notch-auger-tube-qh-hook.jpg   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-frame-ready-hook-up.jpg  

Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-set-auger-lower-lift-points.jpg   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-raise-rear-auger-frame-slide   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-auger-frame-locked-.jpg  
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

1st pic is with 3pt down and top link retracted, end of boom 22" off ground.
    2nd is with top link extended part way, boom hits the ground.
    3rd & 4th pics are at fully raised top link retracted = 6'. Gear box with auger are 4'8" so I should have plenty of height.

If weather holds tomorrow I will get neighbor to help hang gear box and auger back on, stress test my welding and maybe shoot a little video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-3pt-lowered-top-link-retracted   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-3pt-lowered-top-link-extended   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-full-lift.jpg   Post hole digger to Quick Hitch?-full-lift-height-top-link  
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

DDT
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740/cab with air ride seat

Good luck SSdoxie... Let us know the out come
    Kubota L5740 with Air Ride Grammer Seat,cab,Hyd top link, LA854 loader, LA2184 front blade. Kubota RTV 900 Camo. 04 Dodge/cummins-6 speed with extras

Tractor
    Bobcat CT235

Well have you used it? Did it work good?
    Bobcat CT235 with Deere Imatch, And a very bad addiction of attachments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast