Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed

/ Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed #1  

vic4news

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
I purchased the Woods kit to convert the mechanical thumb to hydraulic on my BH80-X. The hardest and most time consuming part of the install was cutting the console for the foot pedal. The metal cut easily with a jig saw, but I couldn't get the saw close enough to the vertical part of the console to finish the cut. It took some drilling and grinding to complete the cut.

A couple of square holes were required. One for a carriage bolt another for a nut. After drilling the hole I used a triangular bastard file to square the corners. I was pleased that it took less than a minute to square up the hole. After the install I realized that the nut could have just been welded in place instead of squaring the hole for the clip the nut was housed in, but it turned out quicker just to square the hole.

One part of the instructions that I didn't follow had you grind the ears where the bucket hose clamps were installed to fit the new plastic hose clamps. I decided to just trim the plastic clamps to the fit the ears. :)

The rest of the install was just bolting things on and connecting fittings.

I've found the mechanical thumb very useful, but it is totally different having a hydraulic one. Now, it's an extra function that I have when using the hoe instead of an extra step that I could take to pick up rocks, logs, etc.

Vic

Attachments

• BHThumb 001.jpg
    BHThumb 001.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 729
  • BHThumb 005.jpg
    BHThumb 005.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 716
  • BHThumb 006.jpg
    BHThumb 006.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 590
  • BHThumb 008.jpg
    BHThumb 008.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 857
   / Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed #2  
Here is a photo of my BH90-X showing the rocker that controls the hydraulic thumb. The rest of the mechanism is below the deck. I can't tell from your photos but my deck might be a little wider. Just wondering if your field installation kit is the same design as a factory installed hydraulic thumb? I think Woods really scored big on finally coming out with the HT for the BH80-X series. I'm sure when other BH80-X owners see your post, Woods will sell a lot more. Good job.

Attachments

• P10p13.JPG
    P10p13.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 513
   / Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed #3  
If you could PM me:

Where did you order from, and of course $$$$$$$$$. Looks good and it's getting old to keep
adjusting my mechanical Thumb!!!!!!!!!

JW5875

/ Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed
..... I can't tell from your photos but my deck might be a little wider. Just wondering if your field installation kit is the same design as a factory installed hydraulic thumb? ....

Yes, your deck looks wider. After the install I did think that there wasn't much room left to put my foot down beside the pedal, but it turned out not to be an issue. Also, they designed the valve cover so that you could place your foot there as well.

I just noticed that you are the one that posted the original thread about the HT kit from Woods.
Thank you. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Vic

/ Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed #5  
Yes, your deck looks wider. After the install I did think that there wasn't much room left to put my foot down beside the pedal, but it turned out not to be an issue. Also, they designed the valve cover so that you could place your foot there as well.

I just noticed that you are the one that posted the original thread about the HT kit from Woods.
Thank you. I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Vic
Sharing information and hands on experiences are what these forums are all about.
Thank you for your kind words.

/ Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed #6  
Vic, I'm jealous ! Looks good. You may push me over the edge to order the kit. I believe you are the first on TBN (that I've seen) to install the kit. :thumbsup:

/ Woods BH80-X Hydraulic Thumb Installed #7  
Sorry for reviving such an old thread - but I'm wondering if somebody who has one of these hydraulic thumb kits on their Woods BH80 hoes could take a look at the hydraulic valve that came with the kit. I'm passing some ideas thru my head on how to add a thumb to the BH77 on my B3200 - and the valve that Woods uses looks like it might be a good fit for the setup I'm thinking of.

If I could get a manufacturer and part number - that would be great.

Thanks in advance.