FEL Grapple

/ FEL Grapple #1  

Gig

Tractor
MF1429
I've added a gapple to my FEL, but it turns out the bucket was not strong enough. I bent the top edge of the bucket when I clamped down. Now I need to figure out how to bend it back and add reenforcements.
I decided to use solenoid selector valve on the curl/dump lines so I would have proportional control from my FEL joystick. Now that I've done it I don't think proportional control is needed.
Hindsight, I don't think the valve should go on the FEL cross support. I should've put a two way solenoid valve back near the FEL rear attach points and just ran lines up with quick couplings on the ends. The hoses to the grapple would move better and have less chance of getting in a bind if the QC's were on one side and not the center.
Anyway most of this is already in these forums but I choose to ignore it. But I didn't hear about anyones bucket bending from using the grapple.

Attachments

• PICT3369.jpg
    PICT3369.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 1,118
   / FEL Grapple #2  
I welded a piece of 1/4 thick x 3" angle to the inside of the bucket so that the bolts from the grapple frame go through the angle. The top of the bucket is essentially squeezed between the angle iron and grapple frame. The angle runs the entire length of the bucket and is also welded on the sides of the bucket. This solved my problem of the bending top portion of the bucket. :thumbsup:

/ FEL Grapple #3  
Is the hydraulic cylinder fully extended when the grapple is closed up against the bucket's leading edge? If not and because it looks like there are still several teeth below the bucket's leading edge, grind the welded platform bar off of the top of the bucket and experiment with some 1/4" or 3/8" 2"x4" or 3"x4" rectangular tubing that would act as an extra height shim to fully extend the cylinder and a lateral strengthening platform across the top of the bucket for several feet.
These photos demonstrate this working proceedure on a John Deere and were posted by a fellow TBNer, picker77.

Attachments

• PB060018.JPG
    PB060018.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 988
  • Thumb1.JPG
    Thumb1.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 761
   / FEL Grapple
Yes, my grapple has an over-bite. I got it a little long to hopfully match up with bucket teeth when i put them on. I'll have to decide if I want to add support on top, like you explained or underneath the bucket lip.
Thanks for the comments.

/ FEL Grapple #5  
Support should always be added to these flimsy buckets, even before adding the grab hooks.

With a grapple, I would add 'double support'.

No offense to picker77, But I would add a little more support considering the thickness of my bucket, if I were to add a grapple(which I hope to do in the future).

/ FEL Grapple #6  
Ditto on the supports. We first made sure that the grapple would not push against the cutting edge of the blade when the top cylinder is fully extended. We added considerable metal, first to get the length and angle right, then gusseted everything to add stiffness to the top of the bucket. Definitely worth the extra work, as I'm confident it will now handle anything the tractor is capable of lifting... and then some!

Don't give up!

Joe

Attachments

• 182408_1790996488541_1048496718_2092368_4927797_n.jpg
    182408_1790996488541_1048496718_2092368_4927797_n.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 447
  • 102_3619.jpg
    102_3619.jpg
    821.4 KB · Views: 675
  • 102_3530.jpg
    102_3530.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 523
   / FEL Grapple #7  
I've got the same issues with my Stoll loader...
My 1720 front axle is rated for 930# and the Stoll FC 350 is an excellent match for it...
I just purchased a set of clamp on forks that adds 100# to the bucket...
If I add a grapple I am looking at another 100# to 125#...
If I reinforce the top edge of the bucket that is another 50#...
So in essence, if I add a grapple and reinforce the bucket properly I have reduced my lifting capacity by approximately 175# not counting the forks which adds up to 275# in reduced lifting capacity...
That would put me in the 725# range of lifting capacity not counting the bucket which I estimate to be around 175#...
I don't think that a grapple makes as much sense for me as it does other folks with higher capacity loaders...
I'll probably pass on it until I get a bigger tractor with a stronger loader...

/ FEL Grapple #8  
I bought the Bolt on Grapple because it comes with it's own support and I don't have to do any welding. The whole unit, I think was 145 lbs. Bolts firmly on the sides of the bucket.

Grapple and tooth bar go hand in hand, I have a set of bucket forks but IMO, I think they would get in the way for what I do.

/ FEL Grapple #9  
I've got the same issues with my Stoll loader...
My 1720 front axle is rated for 930# and the Stoll FC 350 is an excellent match for it...
I just purchased a set of clamp on forks that adds 100# to the bucket...
If I add a grapple I am looking at another 100# to 125#...
If I reinforce the top edge of the bucket that is another 50#...
So in essence, if I add a grapple and reinforce the bucket properly I have reduced my lifting capacity by approximately 175# not counting the forks which adds up to 275# in reduced lifting capacity...
That would put me in the 725# range of lifting capacity not counting the bucket which I estimate to be around 175#...
I don't think that a grapple makes as much sense for me as it does other folks with higher capacity loaders...
I'll probably pass on it until I get a bigger tractor with a stronger loader...

I designed and built this grapple for my B7800. With the cylinder it weighs only 100 lbs. I estimate the big rock weighed 800-900 lbs. as it made the back end light. I have filled rears and had a box blade on at the time.

Attachments

• really big rock.JPG
    really big rock.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 565
  • 16' pole.jpg
    16' pole.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 421
  • rip out tree.jpg
    rip out tree.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 530
  • 55 gallon drum.JPG
    55 gallon drum.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 487
   / FEL Grapple #10  
I designed and built this grapple for my B7800. With the cylinder it weighs only 100 lbs. I estimate the big rock weighed 800-900 lbs. as it made the back end light. I have filled rears and had a box blade on at the time.

Nice job! :thumbsup: