Brush hog-access panel

/ Brush hog-access panel #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
I don't like working under my 6-ft Hawkline mower so I rigged up an access panel for blade sharpening and removal.

IMG_0501 (Small).JPGIMG_0517 (Small).JPGIMG_0518 (Small).JPG

Layed out the pattern. Drilled 1/2" holes in the corners for stress relief.
Cut the 1/8" sheet metal (it's non-structural) with my 4-1/2" angle grinder.
Drilled some scrap steel angle for 5/16" hex bolts (slip fit).
Welded it up.

Now all I have to do is use a 4x4 and a 2x4 wedge under the blade to keep it fixed when sharpening with the angle grinder. And the large hex bolt that attaches the blade to the stump jumper is a lot easier to access for replacement.

/ Brush hog-access panel #2  
Nice work! I have threatened to do the same thing on a Bush Hog 285 for several years. You may have given me the push I need.

/ Brush hog-access panel #3  
Will it be able to withstand a rock or large stick hitting it? I can’t make out how it’s attached.

/ Brush hog-access panel
Will it be able to withstand a rock or large stick hitting it? I can稚 make out how it痴 attached.

The steel angle pieces are welded to the mower's sheet metal and to the removable panel. A little dicey with a stick welder on 1/8" thick steel ( sheet metal burnthrough problems if you're not careful). But I used 1/8" 7014 rod, 90 amps/DC+ and it seemed to work OK. And the six 5/16" hex bolts secure the removable panel to the mower. I don't think that panel is going anywhere.

/ Brush hog-access panel #5  
Now I see it. That should make things much simpler.