Tractor
    Kioti 1924

Default Engine Swap/Upgrade

After about 500 hours which include having been run hot by its previous owner, the 19 HP kubota engine in my Kioti 1924 has just about had it. Severe blow-by, no power. I want to replace the 19HP 3 cylinder Kubota with a 4 cylinder, possibly turbocharged Kubota engine rated at between 25 and 35 HP. The drive train of the machine appears to be fully capable of handling the added power, especially in light of the fact that I will be using this machine to mow pastures.

My concern is in regards to the bolt pattern of the flywheel housing. Does anyone have any info on how I can find a 4 cylinder engine whose bolt pattern will match the existing 3 cylinder pattern?

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

Default Re: Engine Swap/Upgrade

Are you going to put a bigger radiator in there too? You'd probably be better off selling this tractor and get a bigger one.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

You're probably looking at more work then economically feasible.
    I'm with Oliver...buy a bigger tractor.

Before you write off the kubota engine though...have you ran a compression test on it?
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

Bolt patterns can be matched, via an adapter plate, but there are other things to be concerned with. Even if the new engine's power is used gently, to avoid over stressing the rest of the drive train, you could have alignment problems or total failure of the engine to just fit where you want it. Not a simple swap, and probably not something to be undertaken by the faint of heart. Other than that, good luck and keep us informed on how it is going.
    Welcome to the forum!
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    Kioti 1924

Thank you for the reponse, Oliver.

I will be increasing the radiator size. I've got about 20 years experience as a mechanic for a Caterpillar dealer as well as about the same level of experience with automotive mechanics. Trading/replacing the tractor would probably cost upwards of $5000. If I can locate an engine that will mate to my drive train then I should be able to keep my costs under $2000, depending on what I have to pay for the replacement engine. I could rebuild the existing engine but I've never been thrilled with the power that it produced and was looking to wring a little more performance out of the existing machine, which is actually in very good condition other than the engine.

Tractor
    Kioti 1924

No but I'm certain that it a ring sealing problem, probably a broken compression ring

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Satoh S-470D, Mitubishi FD 1450D

OK, forgot to say welcome to TBN. Keep us posted along with pictures if you do the swap. We like this kind of stuff.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1720 SSS 4x4

Romeg
    To keep it simple why don't you rebuilt it or replace it with the same model engine and then put a turbo on it?
    Everything you need is available on e-bay.
    I recently put a turbo on my Ford 1720 and it made a huge difference.
    Very happy with the results.
    Tim

Tractor
    JD2555 and a few Allis Chalmers

Which model is the kubota engine? I had one, traded it to a friend, but he may not be using it. I acquired it as a back up for my Steiner, 23.5 hp and it has a few more, closer to 35 but still basically the same engine.
    David from jax
    A serious accident is one that money won't fix.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MTE2000D, Dig It 258 Backhoe

Give Bruce Laten (a fellow TBN member) a call. He specializes in Japanese compact engines of all brands and has the best prices and inventory that I've found anywhere. In fact, I talked to him earlier today about getting a buddy a Yanmar 3TNE72 engine for his Deere F935 mower....he quoted $850 on a low hour, test ran engine, basically ready to drop in. My friend cussed me for not giving him Bruces phone number before he rebuilt the engine in his JD tractor, he paid that just for the crankshaft from Deere . His shipping prices are very reasonable as well. Super nice guy and very knowledgeable. 931 455-6999
    Darryl