Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion

/ Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
Cause:

Well I had the soot issue with the Grand L 4240 and now the Grand L 5740. The problem is or should I say was the design of the exhaust pipe on these tractors. The problem wouldn't exist If we didn't have an FEL on the machine but some of us do and like mine I was getting soot all over the left side of the FEL which I mortally hatted. all i did on the 4240 was add to the pipe and have it pointed down but this time I wanted to do something a little different. I wanted a STACK.

Correction:

To add a stack to these machines may look easy BUT there are many things you need to consider.

- Placement of the stack
- How high should it be?
- Will the hood be able to open after the retrofit of the stack?
- Will the lower panel be able to be removed for servicing the machine after the retrofit?
- Will it impede visibility?
- How can It be done with minimal modifications to the tractor itself?
- How can it be done so it will not interfere with the turning of the wheel and not hit the front fender?
- How can the adapter be attached so that IF the FEL needs to be removed it can as it was originally?
- How do I add the stack and what happens IF water gets into the stack? How do I prevent this from happening?

Cure:

Well It took two days designing and fabricating along the way while I was suffering with a head cold. I used all 1/4 plate, a few modified exhaust flanges and a flexible joint. I also use a cool exhaust tube connector that I liked. A 3 stack was purchased. I thought it had touch of a curve so I did a little tweaking on it.

The design is self explanatory in my opinion. It's simple yet effective and it sounds so sweet! I did run into a problem bending the pipe. I couldn't get the sharp bends as close as I needed them under the hood using the 2" ID pipe so I went and put stainless flex pipe in It's place. I think it's worked out better anyways because it allows some small amount of movement in the system.

To get around the water in the pipe issue I drilled and tapped a pace for a drain hole and you can see it in photo's EX8 &EX9. When the water gets in it will just run out in the hose I've added to the adapter box. I determined the height of the stack based on the cab light. If I went any higher than I did I would have blocked the light.

Installing it in the location I did allowed the FEL to go fully up and not block the stack and it's not in any way attached to the cab. I used the existing rear FEL support bar bolts holes to accept the adapter. I did have to cut about 11 of the original exhaust pipe but I'll use another one of those cool tube connectors if I need to re-install it at some point. The visibility in the cab is great and the hood can be opened like it could before and the lower service panel on the left side can be easily removed as in the past.

Here's how it was done and looks completed.

Larger photo's can e seen here:Kubota Custom Stack design for the 5740HSTC3 - a set on Flickr

ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex3.jpg

No CNC used here. All hand done free hand and a Miller 875 plasma cutter.

ex4.jpg

This is the "Roughed in" adapter.

ex5.jpg

ex6.jpg

ex9.jpg

ex8.jpg

ex10.jpg

built1.jpg

/ Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion
Here's how it turned out.

ex15.jpg

e16.jpg

front.jpg

ex14.jpg

ex17.jpg

ex19.jpg

ex18.jpg

Now on to the next mod :D

/ Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion #3  
I always enjoy looking at your modifications... Everything done 100% properly. Nothing "dummied up!"

When a mod looks like (or better) than "factory," the job is done right!

I was a Tool & Die Maker since 1967, recently retired... We could have put your skills to good use! Obviously a better feel, and much more talented than many in the trade today.

Impressive work!

/ Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion #4  
Very impressive, you have a lot of talent!

/ Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion #5  
Awesome job and a well needed mod as well. Now to get a pattern for mine.

I always enjoy looking at your modifications... Everything done 100% properly. Nothing "dummied up!"

When a mod looks like (or better) than "factory," the job is done right!

I was a Tool & Die Maker since 1967, recently retired... We could have put your skills to good use! Obviously a better feel, and much more talented than many in the trade today.

Impressive work!

Thank you very much sir. A comment like that from a Tool & Die Maker is the Ultimate compliment and I appreciate it very much. I'm so pleased to hear you enjoy seeing my posts. Thanks for taking the time to comment :thumbsup:

Very impressive, you have a lot of talent!

Thanks Rockgod. Very nice of you to say so. Glad you liked it. Thanks for posting :)

Awesome job and a well needed mod as well. Now to get a pattern for mine.

Thanks. Ya these machines sure can soot everything up. I don't understand why Kubota don't offer a retrofit kit especially now that they see how to do it :laughing: I hope this helps you out. The design is 3/4 the battle doing this sort of thing. Thanks for posting. :)

OK I'll admit. I'm a picky person but I didn't like that open hole in the rear wheel weights so today instead of out riding or driving I spent the day in the shop building hub caps. OH come on, don't laugh :laughing:

hub1.jpg

hub2.jpg

hub3.jpg

DSC07979.jpg

hub4.jpg

hub5.jpg

/ Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion #8  
As usual Paul, everything is too cool for school!

Any reason why a flapping rain-cap wasn't used on the stack?

Would "Baby Moon" hubcaps fit the wheel weights? If so, you could be the first to use them on a working rig.

As usual Paul, everything is too cool for school!

Any reason why a flapping rain-cap wasn't used on the stack?

Would "Baby Moon" hubcaps fit the wheel weights? If so, you could be the first to use them on a working rig.

Thanks Matt. Thought about the baby moons but the only ones I seen around here had a dia. of 8.5". The dia of the opening on the weights was 9.75". I could have machined an adapter but had a thought. IF I did that and installed the baby moons they would have been stuck out further than the weight and could be damaged by snow when cutting close to a snow bank as I often do. Doing it the way I did I used 1/8th plate and recessed the cap in the hole to minimize the potential for damage.

I did ponder using a flap but was worried that the soot could go up and end up everywhere on the machine. Soot is very easy to see on bright orange :eek:
Then I thought about the flap it's self and wondered if I would hear the noise in the cab. One thing about the curved stack is that once pointed in the right direction that's the direction the soot is going. :D

/ Kubota Grand L 5740HSTC3 Stack Conversion #10  
Isn't soot eventually going to get on the cab? I'm not trying to be a downer here but a $2.00 bag of rags takes care of the soot problem. It's a freaking tractor for Pete's sake...do you allow dirt to get on it?