Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    New England Yankee living in Central Maine
    Tractor
    NH TC30

Default Re: Painting and working on old tractor

Friend of mine told me the other day that old fords would run the tread backwards when they wanted to reset the track of the tire making it more or less narrow in the back. -Remount the rim inside out (+ backward tread then!) .The front could just loosen a bolt or two and slide it to a new hole.
    Makes sense to do that on a cub too.
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

For restoring a rusted fuel tank, check with your local radiator rebuild shop. They can etch, blast and re-coat the inside far better than the cream coating products which often have questionable results.

Tractor
    massey ferguson 255

if you do a search on the old British bike forums you will soon find out that ALL tank sealers WILL fail at a point in time but it depends on the amount of ethanol in gas and I don't think any of them are rated for diesel fuel. if you can find a replacement tank that is your best way to go.
    1977 massey 255 w cab 7 ft bush hog 6 ft box blade bush hog 330 FEL small back hoe

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Good Evenin Code54,
    On the tank issue, I just poured a box of locknuts and a couple quarts of kerosene into the fuel tank and then let it spin on an old paint mixer. You could also strap it to one of your tractor tire rims and let it spin slowly for a couple of hours. The inside of the tank came out like brand new. I then washed it and flushed it with water and let it dry. I have never had rust return...

It could be a cheap way out for you...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Tractor
    NH TC30

I cleaned out an old motorcycle gas tank that sat for 19 years and was rusted with muriatic acid (ised for masonry clean up). I let it sit for a while in the tank- after making a solution in plastic pail with water. It stripped the rust and left it all shiny bright inside. I rinsed it with water alot. The put it back on and used it. Where the gas didn't get to the metal, it would rust again. An inline gas filter took care of that before it hit the carb.

I like the stuff- some people hate it.

"September 5, 2008

I have used muriatic acid for rust on motorcycle tanks. Of course, these petrol tanks can easily be removed.
    I use 1:2 dilution with warm water and get good results in about an hour.
    I then neutralize by rinsing with common dish soap and water. Rinse completely, and blow out with compressed air.
    I then immediately coat the inside with two-stoke oil and rinse out with cheap gasoline. The tank is then ready to fill with fresh premium.
    I guess they're all right for car tanks, but I have had bad results with tank liner solutions. The stuff never seems to set completely and causes paint on the outside to blister.
    http://www.finishing.com/336/11.shtml"
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

Tractor
    NH TC30

Quote Originally Posted by scott_vt View Post
    Good Evenin Code54,
    On the tank issue, I just poured a box of locknuts and a couple quarts of kerosene into the fuel tank and then let it spin on an old paint mixer. You could also strap it to one of your tractor tire rims and let it spin slowly for a couple of hours. The inside of the tank came out like brand new. I then washed it and flushed it with water and let it dry. I have never had rust return...

It could be a cheap way out for you...
    Nice cub- had one for years- great tractor- rugged.

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by bill50cal View Post
    if you do a search on the old British bike forums you will soon find out that ALL tank sealers WILL fail at a point in time but it depends on the amount of ethanol in gas and I don't think any of them are rated for diesel fuel. if you can find a replacement tank that is your best way to go.
    We sold lots of aviation fuel sealer sold by Sherwin Williams... truly an outstanding product till the reformulated gas came about...

What a disaster now... clogged lines, filters and goo in the tank bottoms.

Tractor
    massey ferguson 255

the fiberglass fuel tanks on the old Brit iron has been a real problem. the new fuels dissolve the resin and reaks havoc on the carb's and top end on the motors. every one of the slosh type sealers have a poor track record. the boat industry where they built in the fiberglass fuel tanks are also having a lot of trouble. just glad I don't have one on those expensive hole's in the water

Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner View Post
    We sold lots of aviation fuel sealer sold by Sherwin Williams... truly an outstanding product till the reformulated gas came about...

What a disaster now... clogged lines, filters and goo in the tank bottoms.
    1977 massey 255 w cab 7 ft bush hog 6 ft box blade bush hog 330 FEL small back hoe

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by bill50cal View Post
    the fiberglass fuel tanks on the old Brit iron has been a real problem. the new fuels dissolve the resin and reaks havoc on the carb's and top end on the motors. every one of the slosh type sealers have a poor track record. the boat industry where they built in the fiberglass fuel tanks are also having a lot of trouble. just glad I don't have one on those expensive hole's in the water
    My last sailboat was 1967 american made Pearson and the fuel tank was made of monel...

We really used to make things to last.

Tractor
    Kubota L4400-1 HST,FEL, 3x3 remotes, TNT. BX1500 54 mmm

Quote Originally Posted by Code54 View Post
    I recently purchased an older Cub and am in the process of restoring it. I am more then comfortable with working on it and stripping it down but not too up on the whole painting thing. Thus the following questions:

What is the best way to coat the inside of the fuel tank and what product is best

What kind of primer should I be using? Will rattle can primer produce a good long lasting finish?

What is a good paint to use.

This is not a show tractor but we are going to rebuild all major system and use a LOT of new parts so I want the final paint job to be nice and long lasting. The entire machine is being sand/bead blasted ( and soda for delicate parts). I am just not sure how to best prep it for paint. I am also thinking about have a shop shoot the final coat but still am not positive
    Thank you
    Interstate Radiator on Central Ave. in Charleston WV would coat the inside of a gas tank the last time I checked. Might give them a call and see if they still provide the service.
    Randall

1Timothy Chapter 2:
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
    4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
    5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast