Painting and working on old tractor

/ Painting and working on old tractor #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I recently purchased an older Cub and am in the process of restoring it. I am more then comfortable with working on it and stripping it down but not too up on the whole painting thing. Thus the following questions:

What is the best way to coat the inside of the fuel tank and what product is best

What kind of primer should I be using? Will rattle can primer produce a good long lasting finish?

What is a good paint to use.

This is not a show tractor but we are going to rebuild all major system and use a LOT of new parts so I want the final paint job to be nice and long lasting. The entire machine is being sand/bead blasted ( and soda for delicate parts). I am just not sure how to best prep it for paint. I am also thinking about have a shop shoot the final coat but still am not positive
Thank you

/ Painting and working on old tractor #2  
I recently purchased an older Cub and am in the process of restoring it. I am more then comfortable with working on it and stripping it down but not too up on the whole painting thing. Thus the following questions:

What is the best way to coat the inside of the fuel tank and what product is best

What kind of primer should I be using? Will rattle can primer produce a good long lasting finish?

What is a good paint to use.

This is not a show tractor but we are going to rebuild all major system and use a LOT of new parts so I want the final paint job to be nice and long lasting. The entire machine is being sand/bead blasted ( and soda for delicate parts). I am just not sure how to best prep it for paint. I am also thinking about have a shop shoot the final coat but still am not positive
Thank you

Here's the 1948 Cub I'm restoring now.

129 (Small).JPGDSCF0032 (Small).JPGDSCF0038 (Small).JPG

Used Valspar paint and primer from Tractor Supply. The silver paint on the rear rims is Rustoleum. Used an HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight.

Fuel tank sealer--looking into that myself. Haven't selected a product yet.

/ Painting and working on old tractor #4  
Guys on all my restorations I use a product called "Kreem" to treat my fuel tanks. When done properly it will last a lifetime. Good luck.

** Welcome to Kreem Products.com **

Yeah, and when done improperly, the repairs seem like it takes a lifetime. I did one new motorcycle tank. Never again. It's been along time and I've mercifully forgotten all the details. There's better stuff out there.

/ Painting and working on old tractor #5  
Yeah, and when done improperly, the repairs seem like it takes a lifetime. I did one new motorcycle tank. Never again. It's been along time and I've mercifully forgotten all the details. There's better stuff out there.

As with everything, it's always easier to do it right the first time. I've done no less than twenty tanks with Kreem with all of them working out great.

/ Painting and working on old tractor #6  

Don't use a rattle can. They are ok for small parts and brackets. It is really diffcult to paint large parts like hoods and fenders with a rattle can. Find a local body shop guy who works out of his home at night. They tend to work cheap(under the table). He can paint your parts when he is priming a car so it is cheaper.

I had a local guy prime some stuff for me when he was doing a job for someone else. He hung up all our parts in his paint booth, sprayed them all at the same time and charged me something like $150- I restored an old potato planter- I blasted the parts and took them to him.

He did paint my parts later.

/ Painting and working on old tractor #7  
   / Painting and working on old tractor #8  
The tire on that Cub is okay- The Cub tractor has 4 different ways the wheel rims and centers can be assembled to allow for variable widths.

/ Painting and working on old tractor #10  
-tire backwards?

Good eyes :thumbsup:
I'll reverse the tire on the rim when I get around to it.
The other rear wheel is on correctly.