Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co

/ Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co #1  

CowwFace

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade
Hey List,

I bet you are wondering how I could make this a customization thread .. ahh ha check out the little brackets I welded up to keep the RZR more secure on the deck of the camper ...

We were going to stay at Hall Creek Campground, but no empty spots, so we took the camper four wheeling .... squeezed into a spot just above Hall Creek Campground ... a lot of groaning metal getting in that spot!!

We rode Red Cone, Radical Hill etc while we were there. On a tractor note, the state has re-graded the road out there and it's MUCH nicer than last year.. a quick one night trip but it was fun

.. now back to out normally scheduled tractor programing ...

Attachments

• Pickup Camper Streem crossing 09-03-2011.jpg
    Pickup Camper Streem crossing 09-03-2011.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 622
  • RZR Red Cone clouds 09-04-2011.jpg
    RZR Red Cone clouds 09-04-2011.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 329
  • RZR Holder on camper 09-04-2011.jpg
    RZR Holder on camper 09-04-2011.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 348
  • RZR Holder 2 Camper 09-04-2011.jpg
    RZR Holder 2 Camper 09-04-2011.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 380
  • Phill Murphy Reese Calyb Maynard mine 09-03-2011.jpg
    Phill Murphy Reese Calyb Maynard mine 09-03-2011.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 322
  • ATV RZR Red Cone 09-04-2011.jpg
    ATV RZR Red Cone 09-04-2011.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 413
  • Goats fuzzy Red Cone 09-04-2011.jpg
    Goats fuzzy Red Cone 09-04-2011.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 405
  • Calyb RZR Water Amy 09-03-2011.jpg
    Calyb RZR Water Amy 09-03-2011.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 418
  • RZR on Camper 09-04-2011.jpg
    RZR on Camper 09-04-2011.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 1,302
  • Amy Reese Calyb Phill RZR 09-04-2011.jpg
    Amy Reese Calyb Phill RZR 09-04-2011.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 380
   / Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co #2  
I have been looking into those types of toyhaulers myself. I like the idea of not having the gas smell inside the camper. Any comments on the pros or cons of that style toyhauler. You dont see as many around for some reason.

/ Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co
I have been looking into those types of toyhaulers myself. I like the idea of not having the gas smell inside the camper. Any comments on the pros or cons of that style toyhauler. You dont see as many around for some reason.

Hey Deerehunter,

We have had this one for about 5 years now. We usually get about 6 - 9 camping trips in a summer, mostly around Colorado, but we do get to Moab UT once a year as well.

Pros:
1: Exactly what you said, with the gas fumes outside only. never have a smell of gas or the machines inside the camper.

2: The deck will fit 2 full sized ATVs, or I get get the RZR and 2 dirt bikes on there .. For RZR I would recommend fabbing up the holders I use to keep it nesstled in there nicely. My friend with an enclosed Toy Hauler can fit a RZR but that's about it. One would have to goto a REALLY big camper to get RZR and other toys in there.

3: I can unload off of either side .. makes some tight camping sites a bit easier .. vs having to unload then back the camper in.

4: Oil drips etc, and trail mud stay outside, I don't have to clean the machines up after a muddy ride to get them home.

5: When we don't take the quads, we load all our bikes and things on the deck .. but you could do that with any toy hauler.

Cons:
1: Quads are exposed to the weather on the road .. so we have a back seat on the ATV that stays wet if it gets wet so it has to come off if we expect rain the the way camping.

2: I think I use more straps with them outside ... always worried about something coming off.

3: Many of the open deck toy haulers have the pop-out beds (Hybrid) this can be a pain if you don't want to drop a bed to sleep (trip to MN we stopped in rest area .. Adults slept on the table, kids had to sleep on floor)

4: Dang... can't think of a #4 con at the moment.

Overall we really like this little camper. We are not big people but it can get tight when it's really raining and all 4 of us are inside awake .. We bring in 2 camping chairs and sit on them inside .. call them our 2 slide outs hehehe ... I don't see a "new to us" camper in the near future .... but If I were looking I would stay with the outside deck, ... Look for a slide out so a bit more room on the rainy days .. but I would still keep the drop out beds for max sleeping capacity. Don't get a camper w/o a hot water heater ... trust me on that one!

What a book that is eh ... Tractor on!

/ Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co #4  
I thought you were going to have pictures of your tractor on Red Cone!!!!

We've Jeeped those trails three times. Red Cone has a personality of it's own. On top of the World, or so it seems. If I'm smart enough to do it,,, here's a link to our second trip over the top. It's lengthy but good video.

Red Cone 12.MPG - YouTube

Hey ovrszd,

That video is the Cats Arsh ... You should try to market that to some of the places that make trail maps etc .. quality was GREAT.

How did you have the camera mounted? Was that an FJ Cruiser?

Thanks for posting the link!

Tractor on,

/ Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co #6  
For some reason I can envision us sitting on the front deck just like a front porch on a house. I have a midsized 400 Ranger I from what I understand, they still can be a pain to fit in an enclosed unit. I saw where one fellow with a 400 had to take his rollbar off everytime he put it in the toyhauler.
Does feel funny towing it if nothing is on the front deck for tongue weight?
Your making me think I need one of these the more we discuss it!!

/ Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co #8  
Hey ovrszd,

That video is the Cats Arsh ... You should try to market that to some of the places that make trail maps etc .. quality was GREAT.

How did you have the camera mounted? Was that an FJ Cruiser?

Thanks for posting the link!

Tractor on,

I've shot hundreds of videos like that one. never thought about any sort of marketing. We just do it for our own memories.

The vehicle was an '04 Jeep Rubicon. It had an internal roll cage added with a crossbar just above the dash. I fabricated a bracket that clamped to the bar and a thumb screw coming out the top of the bracket that screwed into the tripod mount hole in the bottom of my Sony Digital Camera. I always thought it shot great quality.

For some reason I can envision us sitting on the front deck just like a front porch on a house. I have a midsized 400 Ranger I from what I understand, they still can be a pain to fit in an enclosed unit. I saw where one fellow with a 400 had to take his rollbar off everytime he put it in the toyhauler.
Does feel funny towing it if nothing is on the front deck for tongue weight?
Your making me think I need one of these the more we discuss it!!

Hey DeerHunter,

We've used the deck as a porch a few times watching fireworks. The ol' Girl pulls really nice with or w/o a load on the deck .. does not seem to make any differance. I have not had any problems with sway. I sure would like a fuel station on the camper .... should have added that to the con's.

Hey tungularafishcamp,
Thank you for the link .. Quads can be very dangerous for sure... I take it you noticed we were not wearing buckets ... If the Kids are on their dirtbikes they wear gear of coarse ... but we live on the edge on the quads ... I wish I had a better answer for not wearing helmets .. but they are all just excuses. Thanks for caring enough to bring it to the front of my thoughts though!

OverSZd,
I'll have to try and get a mount rigged up on my RZR .. I just can't imagine the video being so smooth like your's ... good stuff my brother!

Tractor on,
Phill

/ Weekend Camping Trip to Red Cone / Webster Pass Co #10  
OverSZd,
I'll have to try and get a mount rigged up on my RZR .. I just can't imagine the video being so smooth like your's ... good stuff my brother!

Tractor on,
Phill

Yeah I've considered it on my Rhino,,, but like you said I'm not sure of the quality.

For some reason the Jeep videos are smoother than the actual trail. I think in the Red Cone video my Wife comments about wearing a sports bra because the trail is rough. But it certainly doesn't look that way in the video. My camera is a Sony and it has a "shaky" setting, maybe that gets rid of all that...