Converting a ford 1700 into forklift

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift
Started floor board. So i can get a idea of how i want the pedals and foot throttle. Made a cut out around 4wd shifter and bent handle up. The floor board will be bolted on seperate from dash tower and pedal assembly.

image-1004589660.png

Welp only worked on it bout hour tonite. I didnt care much for having the floor cut open around the 4wd shift lever. (previous pic). So i built this lil thing around it with just a slot for handle. What u guys think? Now i been thinking bout hydraulic valves, was goin use 3 spool valve and jus mount it between dash and fender. But now im liking the look and feel of using a compact spool valve from a john deere garden tractor. Mount the valve inside the dash tower which will be getting full. Then mount the deere handle assembly on side of dash, like shown in pic to get rough idea. I have a 2 spool valve but im thinking using 3 spool and building a sideshift carriage later on for forks.

image-916637733.png

Attachments

• image-3153179502.png
    image-3153179502.png
    878.5 KB · Views: 539
   / Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #33  
Wow very impressive!

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #34  
That's pretty cool. You've done a lot in a small amount of time. Quite ingenious. You must have access to a good place for used parts. Keep the pics coming :)

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #35  
Very cool! The operator station look so much roomier than it originally was out of the factory. :thumbsup: Now I really want one. :p:drool:

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #36  
Welp only worked on it bout hour tonite. I didnt care much for having the floor cut open around the 4wd shift lever. (previous pic). So i built this lil thing around it with just a slot for handle. What u guys think? Now i been thinking bout hydraulic valves, was goin use 3 spool valve and jus mount it between dash and fender. But now im liking the look and feel of using a compact spool valve from a john deere garden tractor. Mount the valve inside the dash tower which will be getting full. Then mount the deere handle assembly on side of dash, like shown in pic to get rough idea. I have a 2 spool valve but im thinking using 3 spool and building a sideshift carriage later on for forks.

View attachment 232250

I like this version of the floor. The control levers look good mounted on the dash but are they easy to reach. Great project, keep the pics comming.:thumbsup:
Bill

Thanks for all the compliments guys. There aint nothing on it perfect but i try do what i can to make it look good. As far as parts just stuff i have collected over the years from various tractors or buy lil things on ebay. The levers i think will feel pretty comfortable. In the pic the are clamped on pretty far ahead. It feels natural to have them close to steering wheel and feels comfortable if i can get them mounted where i hope. I started working on the foot and hand throttle tonite got a lil bit done, again it aint perfect but i think it will work.

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #38  
What are you going to do to reverse the clutch and brake pedals? Will you have a right side clutch or can it be swapped to the left side?

My plan for the pedals is to have them set up the same way they would be if u was facin forward. By this i mean clutch on left and two brakes on right with a foot throttle. The brakes will be hooked to the drums by a simple linkage. The left brake will be transfered to the pedal thru simple setup orginaly used on tractor i jus unbolted it and relocated. Now for the clutch i cud rework the clutch fork and make it come out other side of housing and use a linkage. Or i cud transfer motion from left side of dash clutch pedal to the right side and make a fancy linkage. Or im thinking more like using a simple hydraulic slave cylinder set up from a clutch upgrade i done on my cummins trck

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #40  
Very impressive effort Ryan. One thing I'm curious about is do you plan to strengthen the top link to hold or tilt the mast? That seems pretty important to forklift operation (tilt for position and carrying, and hold for strength with the load high). And do you plan on a separate pto hydraulic pump or use the existing? I'm following this with interest.
Someone around me was selling a three-point lift a couple weeks ago, had a separate cylinder to tilt the mast, 9' lift. Used tractor hydraulics, he said.
Jim