Converting a ford 1700 into forklift

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #1  

RyanL

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1540 4wd,loader, R-4s
Well i recently got a sweet deal on a beat up ford 1700 4wd. It turns out it wasnt locked up but jus has broken 4wd driveshaft. So im goin to try to start on my project of reversing controls and possibly flipping ring gear over to get more reverse gears. And mount a small forklift mast on that i have. This is jus a project i been wanting to do and use around shop and be able to go off hard surfaces instead of using the bigger 4wd tractor and loader ill try to upload some pics of what i got

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift
image-1684223042.png

Jus mock up

Attachments

• image-1805439780.png
    image-1805439780.png
    941.6 KB · Views: 1,168
  • image-359105798.png
    image-359105798.png
    781.2 KB · Views: 843
   / Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #3  
Sounds interesting,

Are you putting it on the rear for max lift capability with the larger wheels?

No easy way to make it work on the front?
I know fork lifts steer from the rear for maneuverability.

I'd be tempted to just make a little off road doodle buggy out of it, maybe skid some logs.

JB.

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #4  
Well i recently got a sweet deal on a beat up ford 1700 4wd. It turns out it wasnt locked up but jus has broken 4wd driveshaft. So im goin to try to start on my project of reversing controls and possibly flipping ring gear over to get more reverse gears. And mount a small forklift mast on that i have. This is jus a project i been wanting to do and use around shop and be able to go off hard surfaces instead of using the bigger 4wd tractor and loader ill try to upload some pics of what i got
Looks like a great project!

It will be interesting to see how you handle the operator station setup. Ideally, you should sit facing the lift. That would require some mods to the clutch & brake pedals and linkages, and the steering column. It should be doable. It would just require some creativity and some fabrication.

/ Converting a ford 1700 into forklift #5  
That should make a great little rough terrain forklift. Don't forget that once the operator is turned around backwards, the steering will also be backwards. I once had a Belarus 250 that came with a kit to convert to reverse controls (I never made the conversion). With it, you sat on the hood and straddled the steering column. The tractor had a small gearbox that sat on top of the steering column that changed the angle of the steering wheel and reversed its motion if you wanted to reverse the operator station. The local Belarus factory branch had the identical tractor set up as a forklift, but they did the steering the smart way - full hydrostatic.
Interesting project...I'll be following your progress. :thumbsup:

planning on building a subframe and counterweight and reversing operator station i already got a hydraulic steering valve to use for control of a hydraulic cylinder for steering

Welp i tore rear end apart with intent to reverse ring gear roation to make my forward gears become new reverse gears. ( which will be forward for forklift). Anyways all was going well when i stopped and relized my front axle is driven off the pinion shaft. So the front and rear would now fight each other. So my next ? Is does anyone have exploded view or parts diagram of front axle? I'm looking to find out if i can reverse ring gear in front axle? I haven't picked up a service book yet. Just goin on my ag repair knowledge for now.

image-3478292424.jpg

Before and after swapping ring gear from right side of pinion to left side

Attachments

• image-3374192092.png
    image-3374192092.png
    972.3 KB · Views: 688
  • image-1802257898.png
    image-1802257898.png
    950.2 KB · Views: 864
Well guys i tore the tractor down a lil further and answered two of my own questions. 1: the reason the 4wd dont work is because its has a broke and missing driveshaft coupler. 2: the front ring gear can be reversed. So on with my creation.

image-1999014398.png

More pics of tear down

Attachments

• image-2265147216.png
    image-2265147216.png
    913.7 KB · Views: 586