linear actuator to run grapple???????

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #1  

wftree

If I could find a 12 vold actuator of the right size and design this is my thought.

Mount a switch to my FEL handle then use the actuator to move the handles for my rear remote hydraulic hook up. For much less than the WR long kit I think I could make this work. I am not smart enough to find such an actuator or know if a self centering actuator actually exists.

Any thoughts

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #2  
Perhaps somewhere on this page you will find what you want.

Surplus Center

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #3  
If I could find a 12 vold actuator of the right size and design this is my thought.

Mount a switch to my FEL handle then use the actuator to move the handles for my rear remote hydraulic hook up. For much less than the WR long kit I think I could make this work. I am not smart enough to find such an actuator or know if a self centering actuator actually exists.

Any thoughts

If you can get your hands on the actuator that the used on the early large satellite dishes you would have what you need.
While actually 24 volts, the run well on 12, just a bit slower.
In fact you have just given me an idea of how to use the one I have.

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #4  
There is a good reason that 99.9% of grapples are controlled by hydraulics rather than by mechanical or electrical devices. Bite the bullet and get a set of rear remotes to control the grapple (cheap) or get one of the fancy diverter valve kits.

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #5  
Island I understand he already has the rear remotes, but maybe they are not real handy to actuate, so he wants to put a linear actuator to push/pull the lever electrically with a button on the joystick control . However I can tell you that you are going to be disappointed with the speed of the old satellite controller. it is pretty slow. Maybe a good solenoid with a long throw would work, but I doubt it is going to give you the level of control you want.

James K0UA

/ linear actuator to run grapple???????
Island I understand he already has the rear remotes, but maybe they are not real handy to actuate, so he wants to put a linear actuator to push/pull the lever electrically with a button on the joystick control . However I can tell you that you are going to be disappointed with the speed of the old satellite controller. it is pretty slow. Maybe a good solenoid with a long throw would work, but I doubt it is going to give you the level of control you want.

James K0UA

This is exactly what I want to do. Surplus center got back to me with a controller and a actuator which might work. Now all I need is a self centering triple pole triple throw TPTT switch.

Here is what Surplus center had to offer:

"You might try 5-1577-series with a dpdt switch 11-3259 this will not center to neutral . If you want a centering mode you will need to order 5-1577-c control for that."

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #7  
Let us know how you make out.

James K0UA

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #8  
k0ua said:

James K0UA

I just reread the original post more carefully. Now I am really confused.

Isn't the rear remote lever mounted within easy reach of the FEL joystick? I've never seen a Kubota 4310 but find it hard to imagine they put the lever in an inaccessible spot. On my CK20 I had to reach slightly backwards to reach the remote lever to operate the grapple but it was second nature within a few hours.

If the current valve is tricky to use why not replace it rather than attempting a complicated solution? How about a straight mechanical linkage/extension instead?

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #9  
The FEL control is on the right side just forward of the steering wheel. The rear remote controls are on the right side of the seat. I would not be able to hang onto the FEL control and run the grapple at the same time.

I it looking more like spending the 800 for the WR Long electric over hydraulic is the best way to go. I think for 250 I could set up an electric actuator but I am sure it would be problematic.

I Stand Alone

/ linear actuator to run grapple??????? #10  
I Stand Alone said:
The FEL control is on the right side just forward of the steering wheel. The rear remote controls are on the right side of the seat. I would not be able to hang onto the FEL control and run the grapple at the same time.

No reason to operate the grapple and FEL at the same time. Your setup is almost exactly what it is like operating 4 on the floor. Everyone who uses rear remotes has to let go of the FEL control to operate the grapple. Really works fine. It might seem like you'd like to do FEL and grapple simultaneously but there really is almost never a circumstance when that happens.

Seriously, try the grapple with just the rear remote lever manually for four hours and it will be very natural. You can always build your electromechanical device later.