Default Carrying a shovel?

How do you carry your shovel or similar handled tool with you on the tractor? I have always just tossed it into the bucket, but there must be a better way... I can come up with something myself but I bet someone has already solved this. I've got a backhoe on most of the time so in back won't work well. I don't want to mount something to the hoe because the shovel will go away when I take it off. Keeping it in the FEL means that I have to get on and off the tractor repeatedly to deal with the shovel while handling loads. I need the shovel to spread around areas I can't dump into, and to toss rocks into the bucket I can't scoop up for one reason or another.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2900

Default Re: Carrying a shovel?

I don't have a ROPS yet (this summer's project), but I've seen some photos of guys putting a piece of PVC on the ROPS for handled tools. Makes sense to me.

-Frank

I've seen some photos of guys putting a piece of PVC on the ROPS for handled tools. Makes sense to me.

-Frank

Thanks, I'll look at that. I do have to fold the ROPS down to get into the garage. I'm putting up a new home for the tractor in the next week or two and that will let me keep the ROPS up. I just know I'm going to try and back into the garage without putting it down one of these days.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2001 Kubota B2910

Here's what I did. I can carry a shovel, or rake, or lopping shears, or whatever will fit inside a 4" piece of PVC. I attached the pipe to the upright of the FEL with zip ties, and the bottom of the pipe rests on the frame of the FEL. Works fine and doesn't interfere with the movement of the FEL.

When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

I hook my shovel on the ears protruding from the hinge on the ROPS and use the hairpin clip that came on the hitch pin to secure it. This is on a TN 65.

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

Let's try that attachment again.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Lots of ways... fender drackets.. or even bungied to a support or upright.

Soundguy

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL

Most all loader frames that I have seen, have a hollow cross tube, in front of the grill area but behind the bucket either round or square. Most of the time I just slide the handle of the shovel in the tube. It has never fallen out even while digging into and loading gravel. It's always right near the bucket for easy access. The hollow cross tube on my TC35D happens to be square and is the lower cross member of the quick tach frame. Pic attached. It is the only black tube / cross member you can see.
    Other times I just stand it up in my weight box.