Linear Actuator

/ Linear Actuator #2  
The only thoughts I have is for you to turn the chute by hand and use a guess as to how many pounds of thrust you think it needs. What you also need to consider is how many degrees of rotation you require for the chute. There will be some angular vector forces to take into account.
I think your 115 LBS thrust is a good starting point, and stroke is the another consideration ?

Craig Clayton

/ Linear Actuator #3  
Northern tool sells one that's a little more money but I think would work much better. It's designed to dump garden tractor carts. That one you listed may work but I would want to know if it was weather tight. Plus it sounds like it has an aluminum rod. Moving the chute isn't too hard but it needs to hold the chute where you want it. I'm not sure if aluminum will handle it or bend (would need to know the diameter of the rod).
Wel-Bilt Linear Actuator — 12 Volt, 11 13/16in. stroke | Lawn + Garden Utility Trailers | Northern Tool + Equipment

/ Linear Actuator #4  
The only thoughts I have is for you to turn the chute by hand and use a guess as to how many pounds of thrust you think it needs. What you also need to consider is how many degrees of rotation you require for the chute. There will be some angular vector forces to take into account.
I think your 115 LBS thrust is a good starting point, and stroke is the another consideration ?

Craig Clayton

He's talking about the chute deflector, not the chute rotator.

/ Linear Actuator #6  
mine uses a small hydraulic cyllinder on the deflector, but i have no idea how much force is beilg applied to it from the snow while its blowing. Considering the tonnage of snow blown out the thing, it could be quite alot. They have a pretty beefy cyllinder on mine.

Attachments

• deflector.jpg
    deflector.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 786
   / Linear Actuator #8  
I incorrectly in my read the orginal posters question. So I looked at the last posters picture of his chute deflectors hydraulic cylinder. So if we were to guess at a 30 LBS thrust at the tip of the chute and the chute is 9 " from the pivot point. The cylinders pivot point might be 3 " from its pivot point . This would create a 3 times mechaincal load on the actuator. So in guessing the actuator might have to push a 30 X 3 = 90 LBS thrust. ( more or less )

Craig Clayton

/ Linear Actuator #9  
Also there is a big difference in power needs depending on whether you activate before you blow or while blowing. At idle very little power would be needed.

/ Linear Actuator #10  
If you are looking to build your own, check out an old 6 foot satallite dish actuator. Most are outdated and people will give them to you just to remove it. It will run on 12-36 volt and the rod can be cut off as short as needed. As for force leverage will make up if there is any shortfall in power.

Russell