Outside Air Temp.Gauge

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge #1  

4shorts

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 5740,BX25D
Well I've learned a valuable lesson. Yep. If your going to buy a gauge of any kind, find a reputable US or Canadian company that manufactures them. The Chinese just can't make them to last.

I bought a digital one from an American vendor that lost one of the sectors on the display about four months into having it. The company said it was a bad batch and sent me another one and a year later it did the same thing so I said enough is enough so I set out to find a company that made quality gauges and I'm happy to report I was successful doing so.

The company is in NV, USA and is called TelTek. They have a web site Teltek USA, High Accuracy Digital Guages! They have been in business since 1984 and build all there own gauges. They even give a lifetime warranty on the gauges so that should tell you how confident they are in the product.

When we called to order the outside air gauge the owner told my wife to make sure it wasn't one of there's because there was a lifetime warranty on the ones they make. I thought that was pretty honest of him to tell us that just in case we didn't know he didn't want us paying for another one. We went on to explain it was a Chinese gauge we were replacing.

We placed the order and received the gauge and sensor in no time and you could see the quality the moment we opened the box. I liked the way the sensor wire plugged into the back of the gauge.

I removed the old unit and set out to install the new set up. This gauge can be set up in Fahrenheit or Celsius with a simple paper clip to push a small switch on the face of the gauge.

I had the old sensor out on the rear light but this sensor came with a shorter 10' wiring harness so I installed it on the right mirror this time by fabricating a mounting bracket out of 1/2 inch aluminum pipe and after a little bending and tig welding I got it installed. I ran the wiring through the firewall grommet and up through the cab channel and installed a grommet to exit out to the pipe. I also installed grommets on both ends of the pipe to hold the sensor and that wire and gave it a cleaner look.

I'm more than pleased with the gauge and service from TelTek. I'll be getting all my gauges from them from now on. Check out there site. Interesting stuff on there. Here's a few pics of the process. :)

G1.jpg

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

G6.jpg

Old gauge is to the left.

G4.jpg

G5.jpg

G7.jpg

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge #3  
My outside air gauges were designed to monitor the temps inside of freezers.
They have 24" probes and the gauge is 1" X 2" LCD display.
About $2.00 each from china (shipping included)
I hang it outside my window with display on the sill so that I know what to wear that day.
Bought 3 and now need to install one in the tractor.

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge #4  
As usual Paul...too cool for school! :thumbsup: I like the look of the TelTek gauges. They aren't cheap; but what good is cheap Chink crap if it's constantly failing and/or inaccurate.

I see they use a standard phone jack for the sensor cable. My weather station instruments are like that.

Now I have to kid you my friend...are you going to paint the aluminum tube you made black? :laughing:

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge
As usual Paul...too cool for school! :thumbsup: I like the look of the TelTek gauges. They aren't cheap; but what good is cheap Chink crap if it's constantly failing and/or inaccurate.

I see they use a standard phone jack for the sensor cable. My weather station instruments are like that.

Now I have to kid you my friend...are you going to paint the aluminum tube you made black? :laughing:

Thanks Matt. I paid over $40. For a garbage Chinise one that crapped out twice so this one is a real deal considering the quality. It's actuate +- 1 degree. I like the idea of the phone type connection as well.
I thought about painting it black. I had to install the sun visor on my truck that I had painted eariler this week so I really ran out of time but I did polish the aluminum. If I get tired of the shine I'll paint it black. Thanks for commenting :thumbsup:

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge #7  
As is normal for your projects: first class, mil. spec and aviation grade. It occured to me that the polished alum. tube might actually be a better choice- a black finish could heat up in the sun and give you a false reading??

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge
As is normal for your projects: first class, mil. spec and aviation grade. It occured to me that the polished alum. tube might actually be a better choice- a black finish could heat up in the sun and give you a false reading??

Thank you my friend. As for the painting it black you made a very good point and one which I haven't thought of. Very good observation :thumbsup:

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge #9  
4shorts,
Nice work! I'd like to use your idea on my setup. I have an air temp gauge on my Harley that is handy. The camera system you did turned out super too.

/ Outside Air Temp.Gauge
4shorts,
Nice work! I'd like to use your idea on my setup. I have an air temp gauge on my Harley that is handy. The camera system you did turned out super too.

Thanks brewdog. My GoldWing came with an outside air temp gauge as well. They are pretty handy for sure. That camera has saved me a few time now with vehicles sneaking up on me and poles jumping in behind me :laughing: Glad you enjoyed seeing this stuff. Thanks for posting :thumbsup: Seasons Greeting.