Optima Batteries

/ Optima Batteries #11  
Funny - I was just out pulling a bad 3-year old Autocraft battery from my Dad's car.

I have used the Blue Top Marine Optima's in my SUVs for over 15-years. The reason I started doing this is I was pulling the battery to use in my fishing boat. In that time, after numerous full discharge,s they never failed me, I only used two batteries, one of those was sold with a vehicle so it might still be working as far as I know. I have a third blue top I just bought a few months ago for my RV sitting in my garage ready to go.

I have recently read there have been some quality issues with either red/yellow tops I do not recall. Also, while Optima led the way technology has worked its way into other brands and many offer Gel or AGM batteries. The Penn brand mentioned is highly rated.

The only negative thing I have found is for whatever reason GEL batteries do not last in Motorcycles or PWC that sit allot. Could be as mentioned they need an occasional charge. I have AGM is both my watercraft and so far they are working well.

/ Optima Batteries #12  
I use gel batteries in my boat and love them. I have an Optima that I use in my dump trailer. It is an EZ Dumper that has an electric motor to drive the hydraulics. I have found the Optima yellow top to be a good, dependable, and long-lived battery for it. I also use on to power my electric fuel pumps on my diesel and AC fuel tanks. I have had good luck with them too.

/ Optima Batteries #13  
i got optimas in my truck. 3 years and going strong. I have killed them time and time again and they still take a charge. There not cheap batteries up here($240 each) but i was sick of buying batteries that only lasted a year. So far so good, and they have been in my 03 cummins since.

/ Optima Batteries #14  
No experience with the Optima, but I have learned to avoid the Interstate brand. I have never had one last like they should.

Dean.

/ Optima Batteries #15  
i got optimas in my truck. 3 years and going strong. I have killed them time and time again and they still take a charge. There not cheap batteries up here($240 each) but i was sick of buying batteries that only lasted a year. So far so good, and they have been in my 03 cummins since.
I'm finally replacing my truck (04 Dodge Cummins) batteries before they die. Original ones 7 years old. Trying yellow top Optimas for the first time....we'll see.

/ Optima Batteries #16  
I was going to buy an optima but after doing a little research I found that Diehard makes the same style of battery (I think the Platinum) but instead of being 6 round cylinders stuck together (very inefficient use of space) they just sandwich the mats so it uses all the space of the rectangle shape.

the Diehard platinum is a re-branded Odyssey.
I currently have 2 red tops in my 07.5 Dodge Cummins, they have been in there for 2 years and still doing fine

/ Optima Batteries #17  
HI

I have never owned one of these.
But i recently bought a tractor from a guy who had 6 or 7 Highly modified jeeps and apparently does serious trail and rock climbing.

He had 3 sitting in his shop and I asked him about them.

He said the earlier ones were great. But the last year or so they ant the same battery.

I get the feeling he knows what he is talking about. He still was running 2 of them for a few years.
But the ones replace just didn't hold up.
I know there are 3 color tops, he had 2 of 1 and 1 of the other sitting in the shop.

It could be , like so many other things, the new versions ant as good as the old?

DS

/ Optima Batteries #18  
I have tried Optima's 3 (or 4) times and each time they failed within 6 to 12 months. I did use them on cars that were not often driven. I found that once the battery was discharged once or twice, the Optima was dead. This is worse, in my experience, than conventional batteries, as they can usually surive 3 or 4 discharges. Customer support at Optima was pretty useless. I, for one, wont ever buy an Optima again.

I do like East Penn (Deka) when it comes to conventional batteries (as someone above mentioned).

/ Optima Batteries #19  
I have tried Optima's 3 (or 4) times and each time they failed within 6 to 12 months. I did use them on cars that were not often driven. I found that once the battery was discharged once or twice, the Optima was dead. This is worse, in my experience, than conventional batteries, as they can usually surive 3 or 4 discharges. Customer support at Optima was pretty useless. I, for one, wont ever buy an Optima again.

I do like East Penn (Deka) when it comes to conventional batteries (as someone above mentioned).

My experience is that I have had Optimas in my truck for about 3 yrs. I have only put about 23K. miles on the truck since I bought it (3yrs ago) so it can and has set parked for up to a month at a time.
I have discharged them badly enough that another truck AND a battery charger were required to get it started. the batteries were dead enough that they put the truck in limp due to low voltage.

/ Optima Batteries #20  
My experience is the Biggest you can physically fit, Biggest numbers ,cca and ca and heaviest physical weight is best. Lead is heavy.

Lately Exides are the winner

DS