Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Adams pull type road grader

I bought an adams no 8 leaning wheel road grader, I am wanting to convert it from steel wheels to rubber tires. I know it can be done because I have seen them like that. The one I have has spindles that are bigger than 2 inch. I will have an exact measurement tomorrow, the battery in my mic is dead. Any ideas on how to do this. Thanks

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Many

Default Re: Adams pull type road grader

Congratulations on your grader. These old graders are interesting. You can probably make hubs to fit on the shaft and have the bolt pattern to mount rubber wheels on. On another idea you can buy rubber strips to bolt onto the steel wheels from millertire.com.

Do you have any photos of the grader.

Tractor
    Ford 3930 Allis Chalmers B

I bought an old Adams grader at an auction years ago. Planned to pull it behind a small tractor or paint it up and just have it around. Never got to do either! Guy came by , fell in love with it and offered too much money !
    Good luck with yours!
    Ford 3930 FEL,Gill roll over scraper,Hankbilt pulveriser, 3pt fold over disk,PH auger, Hankbilt 3pt log splitter,blade,6"bushog,plow,boompole, Hankbilt subsoiler,72" ratchetrake 1949 Allis Chalmers B [ Its earned its retirement and goes to parades/shows when its owner has time/energy ] Growing old ain't for sissies !

Tractor
    L2250 Kubota

How many thousands of Feet or miles do you plan on grading? This might be a pivotal point to the wheel redesign.

Craig Clayton

Tractor
    jd 1070

Well its possible (just use better tires than these). Another possibility is to weld onto the axle some rear wheel bearing assemblies from a recent FWD domestic midsized car. Then you can mount any of the wheels (production, compact spare, high pressure spare, Cragers, etc.) on these hubs. Bearings are bolt or weld on. Wheels & tires are usually a few bucks at the junk (I mean re-homing) yard.

I've converted a few old steel wheel hay elevators using this method.
    There is no "I" in team, but there is a "Me" if you want to jumble it up a bit...

Not grading a bunch, I got a 1/10th mile high banked go kart track that washes out everytime it rains, needing this to get the track back in shape.

Here is a link to a picture of it.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/photos/s...hp/photo/10148

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

Use the wheels like they are for a while. Then decide if you really need rubber tires.

Bruce

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

Are those 16" split rims..?? If so, shouldn't be too hard to find a decent used set to put on it, and most likley 8 plys. If the rims are half decent, I'd clean them up in, and out, paint, and a new set of good used ones on it.

Just be real careful with the rings... Many tire shops won't even mess with split rims anymore...

It just has the old steel wagon wheel types, one of the big reasons I am wanting to switch is the bushings or whatever these steel wheels have in them are worn alot, and when you pull it the wheels rock side to side pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast