Tree Planter - Tree Spacing Timer

/ Tree Planter - Tree Spacing Timer #1  

Canada_CT230

Platinum Member
Tractor
1878 Ford 65N
I recently bought a Detco 101 tree planter (Detco, Inc. Tree Planters, Spades, and Tongs) and I need a way to equally space the trees while planting.

I have seen the trailing chain method and that is a possibility but I saw this video on YouTube. The chain method would be more of a nuissance as you have to look backwards.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnZYayWEvJc]Planting Christmas Trees - YouTube[/ame]

They have some kind of timer or measurment device that beeps when a certain distance is driven.

I have done some searching but haven't found anything. I don't know what it is called so that makes it harder to find.

Any help would be appreciated.

/ Tree Planter - Tree Spacing Timer #2  
hmm how about a metronome app installed on your phone and wear headphones?

/ Tree Planter - Tree Spacing Timer
Can't install apps, don't have a smart phone. Only cell phone we have has a number pad and send/end buttons. Just the way I like it.

I measured the circumference of my rear tire and it is aproximately 11 feet around. Since I want a 10ft spacing that is real close to one revolution of the rear tire.

I wonder if I could rig up some kind of contact switch on the rear tire so that every rotation makes momentary contact and trips a horn.

Not sure how to engineer that...any ideas?

/ Tree Planter - Tree Spacing Timer #6  
How many acres or rows are you planning to plant?
I have some ideas but the design will change with the size of the job.

I planted with a 3 pth auger trees by the chain method about 5 acres for this phase of a 10 acre plant.

Craig Clayton

We only plant 750 - 1000 trees per year. The chain method would work but I think it would literally be a pain in the neck to be turned around watching that chain. About 10' spacing.

/ Tree Planter - Tree Spacing Timer #8  
Add a second seat to your planter, and have the wife ride along with you. I am SURE that she will tell you when and where to plant them...... [ :) ]

It has a seat for the wife...that is who is inserting the trees into the planter at the interval. I'll be driving the tractor.

I want to go with a distance based beeper. Timing can be too easily screwed up if you slow down , speed up or have to stop.

I've tried to find a beeper distance measuring wheel but had little success.