Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!!

/ Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!! #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I started on this project last year around October but set it aside for deer season and just now got motivated to finish it up. I did post a sneak peek of it last December in another thread, but here are all the details and more pictures. As we all know, compact tractors are called compact for a reason.... and they don't leave much room to carry the essentials often needed when using the tractor. On my JD 790, I kept looking at the space between the right-side engine cover and FEL mast and thought I could make use of it.

chainsawcarrier003.jpg

So, here's what I came up. I started out with a piece of 3/8 thick steel, and to that I had my welder weld (I still can't weld :mad: ) on two small pieces of bar stock to what would be the bottom side of it. I drilled (4) holes for two 3" bolts to use to secure it in place on the horizontal FEL support bracket, which is made of 2 1/2" square tubing (the picture was made before holes were drilled).

Chainsawcarrier002.jpg

My welder had a scrap piece of very rusty 2x4 rectangular tubing lying in a corner of his shop that would work perfect to hold the chainsaw blade. So, I had him cut it to length and weld it onto the top of the 3/8 plate. There are some gaps in the welds to allow water to weep out in case it ever gets rained on. Sorry, but I didn't take a picture of the tubing right after it was welded onto the 3/8" plate!!

:confused::(:ashamed::confused2:

I had originally planned to use plywood sheeting cut to fit inside the 2x4 tubing to protect the chain, but I was at Sears one day and came across this Craftsman slip-on chainsaw guard so I bought one.

Chainsawcarrier003-1.jpg

It uses a spring loaded hinge to snap on, and is a one size fits all, so I cut the hinge out (since I wouldn't need it and also to make it narrower), and also cut it to length so it would fit the 16" blades on both of my saws. Of course, if you attempt this and have a longer sawblade, you can always cut it to suit your sawblade. Once it was cut to length, I sandwiched it between some plywood to fill up the voids. Yes, that is part of a yardstick. Hey, it was the perfect size!!! :laughing:

chainsawcarrier001.jpg

I found a fire extinguisher bracket from a local fire equipment supply house that lets the extinguisher snap in place. To attach the fire ext. bracket to the upright 2x4 tubing, I had two 5/16" nuts welded to it. Here is the finished product with a quick coat of JD greene to cover up all the rust, and the fire extinguisher bracket attached. The 2x4 tubing was very pitted, but since it was uniform all over, I let it go. It looks sort of like it got powder coated lol!

chainsawcarrier004.jpg

Ok, here are the pictures after installation. In the first picture, you can see that the handlebar of the chainsaw sits very close to the chain bucket that I also made (it's detailed in another thread, btw). Too close, in fact. What I had to do was drill another hole in the mounting piece for the chain bucket so it can be locked in place about 3 inches inboard of the original hole. So now, when the chainsaw is in place, I have to use the inboard hole. When the chainsaw is not in the holder, I can use the outboard hole. It's not a big deal, and I could compensate for it by cutting the 4 upright pvc tube about 6 inches shorter, that way it would not interfere with the chainsaw when it is slid into place. I will say that it's all a tight fit, there is just enough clearance to remove the side engine cover, and the fire extinguisher is almost touching the FEL upright mast. But, the beauty of doing it this way is that when I remove the FEL, the chainsaw, fire extinguisher, and the chain bucket will stay with the tractor. Hope you like it, :thumbsup: I know I will!

chainsawcarrier009.jpg

From the underside showing the mounting bolts.

chainsawcarrier007.jpg

This view sort of from the front. This picture shows where I had to drill the new hole in the bracket that locks the chain bucket in place.

chainsawcarrier014.jpg

This view from the top looking straight down on it, kind of shows the clearance.

chainsawcarrier008.jpg

Closeup of the scabbard for the chainsaw blade. I tried to make it fit the blade as snug as possible, but the chainsaw still flops around a little bit but it's not too bad. The pitting is pretty evident in this pic!

chainsawcarrier015.jpg

One last view, also showing the tool box I added proudly displaying my TBN bumper sticker. :thumbsup:

chainsawcarrier011.jpg

Last edited:
   / Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!! #2  
Nice work................ great ideas ! :thumbsup:

/ Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!! #4  
Very nice work:thumbsup: You really went the extra yard on that chainsaw scabbard.:laughing:

/ Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!! #5  
That's fantastic! The other day I was looking for a place to put my chainsaw on my tractor other than the bucket. I had though about making a scabbard mount somewhere on the tractor, but hadn't given it enough thought yet. I really like the fire extinguisher too. Never can be too safe. I had a hydraulic hose blow on one of my excavators. It spewed hydro all over the hot exhaust almost causing a fire. Since then, I have fire extinguishers in everything. Great Job! :thumbsup:

/ Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!! #6  
Kebo,

Great lookin' job!!!, and very well thought out!!!:thumbsup:

I like yours because it's out of the way!!

I made one for my chainsaw, and mounted it on the loader... But it's really in the way because I can't get off that side of the tractor if I need to "when the chainsaw is in it".

I like your "fire extinguisher" bracket too!!!... I also like the pipe for carrying chains!!:)... I'd like to find a place to mount a small toolbox, But there's not too many places to do that on my 4300.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!

Here's my chainsaw mount.

Bill

Attachments

• Chainsaw Mount.jpg
    Chainsaw Mount.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 5,001
   / Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!! #7  
Nice setup. Good use of the space.

If I understand you correctly, you had a professional welder weld that up? If so, that is some awful welding (for a pro). For a DIY (like me), I'd put it in the "It'll hold" category, but I'd expect a lot better from a pro. If I misunderstood, my apologies. But still, a very good setup and use of dead space.

/ Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!! #8  
Very nice, best set-up I've seen. :)

/ Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!!
Nice setup. Good use of the space.

If I understand you correctly, you had a professional welder weld that up? If so, that is some awful welding (for a pro). For a DIY (like me), I'd put it in the "It'll hold" category, but I'd expect a lot better from a pro. If I misunderstood, my apologies. But still, a very good setup and use of dead space.

Yes, he's a "pro" welder and has a local shop here. I know his welds aren't that great, but his prices are good so I cut him some slack. I guess you get what you pay for?? If I had something that needed some serious welding, I would go somewhere else.

/ Here's my chainsaw scabbard/carrier & fire extinguisher bracket!!!