On board air for farm truck

/ On board air for farm truck #41  
I had an almost new two stage, 30 gal. 115V AC compressor I wasn't using, and a buddy needed the tank, and he had a buddy who lives in Miami who drives a work van loaded with AC equipment, who hates the lousy drivers and loves his air horn. The Miami guy got a serious boat horn, about 3' long, and needed some serious air. Plus, he blows out irrigation pipes and needs air for his tools. Now this compressor runs on a 15 amp circuit, so the Miami guy installed it, with a 5 gal. tank and an inverter, in his van, and now has all the air he can blow out.

/ On board air for farm truck
Now having second thoughts: I found a twin tank framing carpenters compressor, much like my big Emglo. This one has an 8HP Honda engine and twin tanks. Guy will let it go for $250. I thought maybe I could bolt it behind bulkhead. Would still leave me 8' of clear bed space for occassional sheet good transport. Or I could leave it loose and use it as a backup nail gun compressor....
decisions, decisions......

/ On board air for farm truck #43  
dang it.. now you guys got me wanting to put a air comp in my 350 GRRRRRR :)

/ On board air for farm truck #44  
Now having second thoughts: I found a twin tank framing carpenters compressor, much like my big Emglo. This one has an 8HP Honda engine and twin tanks. Guy will let it go for $250. I thought maybe I could bolt it behind bulkhead. Would still leave me 8' of clear bed space for occassional sheet good transport. Or I could leave it loose and use it as a backup nail gun compressor....
decisions, decisions......
Sounds good. I might see if I could make a doghouse of sorts to keep it out of the weather and a way to have a 15 minute method to remove it...

Aaron Z

Sounds good. I might see if I could make a doghouse of sorts to keep it out of the weather and a way to have a 15 minute method to remove it...

Aaron Z

The way I see it, I can use it as a backup nail gun compressor.
The only thing I don't like is having to carry a little fuel can with me and keeping it "still" on the bed of the truck. Really want a 5-10 gallon tank that runs off truck electrical system. The ViAir was cool, but I'm afraid a 2 gallon tank is pretty worthless for BIG tires.
I'm also reluctant to bolt anything permanent into the F-550. It's very unreliable and I have little faith in it.

/ On board air for farm truck #46  
We put a large 3,000 inverter that will run regular air compressor in my f450. Its easy remove it I change trucks and I can power about anything that is 110v.
Mine is old truck w/7.3 so its showing its age but would trust it anywhere.

/ On board air for farm truck #47  
age is character, as long as everything works! :)

/ On board air for farm truck #48  
I used a 73 celica aircompressor for mine. It is a two piston pump and hooked it to a 7,5 gallon propane tank for storage. I put a toggle in the cab with an airguage on the dash, put an electric start stop like the one on a water pump to turn on and off the compressor. I put the master toggle on so I could turn off the system when not needed.
This pump puts out plenty of pressure. I noticed that it is tested to 425lbs pressure, but I only set it for 125.

We put a large 3,000 inverter that will run regular air compressor in my f450. Its easy remove it I change trucks and I can power about anything that is 110v.

That's not a bad idea. Do you just use big gator clips and clip it to a battery?

Mine is old truck w/7.3 so its showing its age but would trust it anywhere.

Yeah, the old 7.3L. I've owned 10 of them. Good reliable diesel. Infinately more reliable than the 6.4L I've already done engine repairs on with only 44K miles!

/ On board air for farm truck #50  
I put on the battery via bolts and welding cable use to put it in the cab this time I put it in the box with they hydraulic pump. This has been in 2 or 3 trucks already makes it nice to have 110v all the time.