On board air for farm truck

/ On board air for farm truck #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Looking for economical/cheap way to add on board air to my F-550. I want to be able to inflate tires, blow hay/grass off machinery.

Don't have a fortune to spend. Air comp needs to be outside-no place to store inside (unless I can fit in a tool box mounted on bed). Need pretty strong air reserve for backhoe/farm tractor tires.

Anyone got ideas & suggestions for a budget-minded system?

/ On board air for farm truck #2  
probably not the exact route you were looking for, but around 20 years ago i remember reading an article about a 4x4 build where they were using an old a/c compressor for onboard air. they built tube bumpers that were connected as the reservoir. i have no idea if/how well this worked, but you can probably search and find articles about it, assuming it worked.

/ On board air for farm truck #4  
Lostcause, you are right. 4X4 people use air cond. compressors for air a lot. Needs to have a cut out switch to keep from blowing the air hose apart.

/ On board air for farm truck #5  
   / On board air for farm truck #7  
I have a AC compressor on my Scout that is setup as OBA and it works great. I used it to run my framing nailer when I was building fence rather then run an extension cord or a bunch of hose.

/ On board air for farm truck #8  
For the budget minded air solution, with those with gasser engines, borrow a cylinder from the engine under the hood occasionally. :D

Attachments

• Tire Pump.jpg
    Tire Pump.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 560
   / On board air for farm truck #9  
For those with a diesel engine an exhaust brake (Jake break) can be installed which is actuated via an air compressor (e.g. Pacbrake). This might or might not provide enough flow depending upon your application, although for some vehicles a larger compressor can be installed. The exhaust brake is desirable in any case for towing. Another option might be a dual winch/air compressor (winch motor has option to drive an air compressor), like the Warn Powerplant.

/ On board air for farm truck #10  
if you had room for a 30g air tank, you could precharge it at home off a real compressor, and then put it on a tire inflator compressor either with a toggle switch, or using a pressure switch like for a well to switch power on. ( not an unload switch ).

soundguy