New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it?

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #1  

Foxtrot08

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
So, been thinking recently. Our TN60A was a knee-jerk buy when we bought more property. Our old JD 790 with a FEL was too small and we needed something with a FEL, so we bought the TN60A. The dealer had it on the lot as a 'fair special' marked down in price, since we had to give it back for a week because of our local fair. It was a good deal and pretty much a no brain'r, since we got it for a steal.

Since then we picked up the Boomer 2420 and the 806.

However, the TN60 is the smallest tractor we have, but we use it the most really as it's probably the most comfortable to really use for long periods.

I looked, the TN60A and the TN75A share the same engine - both 179ci, both the same bore stroke, etc.

It appears, the only difference is the TN75A Engine is turbocharged, where the TN60A's is not.

Do you think it would be possible, assuming I can get the parts, to bolt on the Turbo of a TN75A, onto my TN60?

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #2  
Anything is possible.

So, yes, you could.

It will probably be cheaper to trade your 60 for a 75....

I hear in many models, the more hp ones are spec'ed with bigger bearings, bigger shafts, bigger radiator, etc. so while they may share the same block and frame, some of the 'small parts' might be quite different on the higher hp model. I donno if that's the case with your models. Just something to think about, esp the radiator/cooling. Maybe oil pump too, turbos need a lot of oil flow? Donno, just something to think on.

--->Paul

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it?
It will probably be cheaper to trade your 60 for a 75....

Would be a shame, since our TN60A only has about 500 hours on it. Finding something of the same set up, used would probably have a ton of hours on it.

I hear in many models, the more hp ones are spec'ed with bigger bearings, bigger shafts, bigger radiator, etc. so while they may share the same block and frame, some of the 'small parts' might be quite different on the higher hp model. I donno if that's the case with your models. Just something to think about, esp the radiator/cooling. Maybe oil pump too, turbos need a lot of oil flow? Donno, just something to think on.

Basically, that's what I'm trying to find out.

If they're the same other then one is turbo'd and one is not, then it would be a pretty simple job.

If the engines are a lot different, then it's going to be a lot more complicated and probably not worth it.

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #4  
well, you can stick a Turbo on anything, but its rarely simple any more.

I'm guessing your tractor is all computerized with way more sensors than your going to want to deal with. buying all those electronics wont be cheap.
If you find a new wrecked 75 cheap, I might go for it, but otherwise, no.

on the other hand, if you have a mechanical injection pump engine, it would be much simpler.

another option might be propane injection or something like that for more power

ps. is the transmission the same between the 2 of them?

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #5  
According to my local dealer I could turbo my TN60a for cheaper than I could buy a TN75. The only catch is it would give you the same HP as the TN70. You would have to remove the fuel pump and have someone modify it for more flow to reach the TN75 HP. The fuel pumps are not user adjustable like older model diesels.

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #6  
According to my local dealer I could turbo my TN60a for cheaper than I could buy a TN75. The only catch is it would give you the same HP as the TN70. You would have to remove the fuel pump and have someone modify it for more flow to reach the TN75 HP. The fuel pumps are not user adjustable like older model diesels.

I wouldn't be too quick to jump in that boat. The big question is would the dealer warranty it ? Check the compression ratio. Turbos have less compression and different pistons. Usually a stronger bottom end also. The problem is you get it done and it runs on five pounds of boost. Pretty sonn you up it to ten and fifteen. Pretty soon your going to see part failures and huge repair bills. An engine shop will agree it can be done but will they stand behind it ? In this world of computer tractors I would be skeptical.

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #7  
For starters my tractor is long out of warranty, but I don't understand everyones fear of modifying their tractor. How many of us have diesel trucks with a tuner? Last truck I had was running a tuner, larger turbo, injectors, and exhaust. I had almost 300k miles on it when I traded it and never had any issues. You are talking about a 25% increase over stock on the tractor, my truck had a 70% increase over stock and the rest of the truck wore out long before the engine did.

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #8  
I think the concern should be the other items on the tractor, and not the Diesel engine. With more power comes more strain on the drive train and hydraulic pumps.

Small example : previously the tractor would push into a pile and stop, bucket 3/4 full, no tire spin, just full stop. Now after modification the tractor still pushes till tires lose traction breaking loose. More strain on frame, tranny, FEL, hydro pumps. Bucket is now 5/4 full, again more strain on frame, bucket, load on tires etc.

My point is the capacity of the machine is closely related to amount of power the machine has and can produce. If you upgrade the power other things may start breaking, or wear out faster in the case of pins and bushings.

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #9  
I think the concern should be the other items on the tractor, and not the Diesel engine. With more power comes more strain on the drive train and hydraulic pumps.

Small example : previously the tractor would push into a pile and stop, bucket 3/4 full, no tire spin, just full stop. Now after modification the tractor still pushes till tires lose traction breaking loose. More strain on frame, tranny, FEL, hydro pumps. Bucket is now 5/4 full, again more strain on frame, bucket, load on tires etc.

My point is the capacity of the machine is closely related to amount of power the machine has and can produce. If you upgrade the power other things may start breaking, or wear out faster in the case of pins and bushings.

Everything mentioned that would be found on a TN60 would be found on a similarly equipped TN75. If the OP wants to turbo his 60 he should go for it. I would add an exhaust pyrometer with the sensor mounted between the cylinder head and turbo. Given typical monitoring of coolant and exhaust temps, chances for a catastrophic failure of any type are slim.

/ New Holland TN60A - Can I turbo it? #10  
Put a turbo on it. I have to say, go to a car show and see how many 350 Chevy's have a blower on them. Lots!!! With more power comes decreased reliability. Lots more power means lots less reliability. A smaller power jump, a smaller loss in reliability. I have a family friend that dyno'd his 1486 at 206hp back in the 80's. He ran it hard, but made sure that he didn't beat on it. Ran reliably for years. How many guys here have modified their diesel trucks for more power? Just as with cars, the factory always designs stuff with a compromise between power, longevity, comfort, etc. I've always felt that making the tractor fit your needs better is no different than doing it with a car. You just have to remember that you're changing the compromise balance and decide how far you want to change that.

2 things that I would suggest....
1. More gauges. Boost and pyrometer. If you're going to have fun with it....may as well know how close you are to pushing it too far.
2. Just as with anything else, draw out a plan. You're going to be forced to change a few things on down the line....but at least having a general idea on where you're going is a huge help.