Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights?

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #1  

Buckgnarly

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DS3510
Looking to add aux lighting to the ROPS at the top, but not sure if it offers a ground or if I will have to run another wire for ground. Using Grote lights that ground with the mounting stud, and I need to know before I order 1 or 2 wire plugs for each light.

Oh yeah, i don't even have the tractor until Thursday (Kioti DS3510) so I can't check on my own.

Anyone use self grounding mounts on a ROPS? Not sure if I will be welding or drilling, but in any case is there a path to ground on a ROPS?

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #2  
Looking to add aux lighting to the ROPS at the top, but not sure if it offers a ground or if I will have to run another wire for ground. Using Grote lights that ground with the mounting stud, and I need to know before I order 1 or 2 wire plugs for each light.

Oh yeah, i don't even have the tractor until Thursday (Kioti DS3510) so I can't check on my own.

Anyone use self grounding mounts on a ROPS? Not sure if I will be welding or drilling, but in any case is there a path to ground on a ROPS?

Much better to run the ground wire. Then you won't be "cussin in the dark"
or pounding on the lights to get some contact after a rain..
I don't think you are supposed to weld or drill a ROPS.
Use brackets and bolt around the outside of the ROPS

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #3  
Much better to run the ground wire. Then you won't be "cussin in the dark"
or pounding on the lights to get some contact after a rain..

Yep, always run a ground wire, it's not that much trouble.

If you bought lights that only have a hot wire, I would rewire them.

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights?
Yeah, guess I'll suck it up and run a ground to a good ground....probably would wind up cursing myself during a blizzard!:thumbsup:

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #5  

I also agree about running a ground wire. I personally would not drill or weld your rops, because it can cause structural issues, and at the least, if you do do end up doing it, and roll, the company that manufactured the ROPS will say that they have been modified, and they will use it as a way to get out of paying a claim. You also don't want to make a hole that will allow moisture You are probably best to use a bracket, or a mount.

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #6  
my ground wire got knocked off and with it just grounding through the ROPS, it flickers quite a bit.

-Phillip

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #7  
Do what you want, I drilled a 1/4 hole in mine to run the hot wire inside the ROPS, welded a mount for the light and grounded to the ROPS. Why run a wire somewhere else to ground to the frame If a small hole will ruin it it's not worth having.

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #8  
Buckgnarly said:

Why not check it with an Ohm meter to a ground spot on your frame. That should tell you if the ROPS is grounded to it. Simple enough. If you get a full swing on your Ohm meter or a beep on a digital then your good to go with one wire to each light. -robert

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #9  
'probably'.. but why rely upon a painted surface to carry electricity.. if you are running 1 wire.. run 2.. dedicated grounds make for brighter lights and longer bulb life..

/ Will ROPS provide ground for aux lights? #10  
When I mounted lights on my new Kioti, i used an old extension cord, one piece of cord allowed me two circuits with a ground wire and it has a nice thick protective coating to boot. Works very nicely and its a good way to get rid of a cord that has been cut and spliced way to many times . . .John