i'm cheap

/ i'm cheap #1  

thomas9n

Tractor
jd3032 1951jdmt
was wanting some front weights for my little jd3032. so i was on craigslist today and seen many weight lifting benches for sale pretty cheap. round weights 50 to 25 pounds a peice,so has anyone welded a post to the front of their tractor or back for weight? good idea or not? much cheaper than dealer bought weights!

/ i'm cheap #2  
No reason that would not work. I know several have used lifting weights for rear ballast. Someone here on the forum made an adapter that attached to their rear wheels and held several lifting weights as wheel weights.

MarkV

/ i'm cheap #3  
i know several people who have welde dup weight brackets for exercuse plate weights. very common.

you can also cast your own weights out of concrete too. I MADE UP A SET FOR MY FORD 4600. VERY CHEAP.. VERY EASY..

/ i'm cheap #4  
I made an 80 lb front weight for a few bucks.

I poured a bag of concrete mix in a tub and left some bolts extending out. When the concrete was set well (28 days soaking in water) I popped it out of the tub and bolted it to the grille guard. Looks funny. Works great. (May have originally learned this from SoundGuy.)

Last edited:
   / i'm cheap #5  
i know i've made a few like that! :)

/ i'm cheap #6  
I have "non Olympic" lifting weights bolted on the front of my tractor. Works good.

/ i'm cheap #7  
was wanting some front weights for my little jd3032. so i was on craigslist today and seen many weight lifting benches for sale pretty cheap. round weights 50 to 25 pounds a peice,so has anyone welded a post to the front of their tractor or back for weight? good idea or not? much cheaper than dealer bought weights!

I did something similar on my '87 Snapper LT16 - I welded up a rear-mount square post and stack plates from an old universal gym.

JayC

Attachments

• cab_small3.jpg
    cab_small3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 513
   / i'm cheap #8  
Only suggestion I'll add is to weld the post onto a plate with a bolt pattern that matches the holes in the front crossmember and bolt it to the tractor. Less permanent than having a post welded to the tractor frame.

/ i'm cheap #9  
I used a 10" steel pipe filled with concrete welded up brackets to bolt under the grill gaurd on mine.

/ i'm cheap #10  
I welded some small tabs to the brushguard on my 3203 and used a pc of 1" solid shaft and a couple bearing lock collars to hold it on. Easily change or take off the weights and didn't stick out very far in the way.
IMG_0327-1.jpg