Chrome stack

/ Chrome stack #11  
You could go in between - use a chrome flapper.

/ Chrome stack
OK, so on the advice of Woodsmith, I got to work in the shop when I got home from work this afternoon, and cut the two pipes and rewelded them back together. Here are the results...

Here is the stack after my initial cut in a panic to get it in the garage and out of the weather...
tractor after cut.JPG

The bend which was originally removed from the tractor...
bend before cut.JPG

The two pieces of pipe chalk lined for proper bend alignment after cutting and welding...
chalk lined.JPG

Tractor-side pipe ready to cut down to size...
marked ready to cut.JPG

Checking fit and alignment prior to welding...
checking fit and alignment.JPG

Prepped to weld...
prepped to weld.JPG

Ready to tack weld...
ready to tack.JPG

Welded and ground...
Welded and Ground.JPG

Coated in header paint...
Painted.JPG

Reinstalled from left side of tractor...
Reinstalled Left Side.JPG

Reinstalled from right side...
reinstalled right side.JPG

I made the cut for the weld just above the brackets for the heat shield so that the weld would be partially hidden behind the shield, and I'm probably going to paint the pipe a final coat of high heat wrinkle black which will hide the weld even more...the silver header paint was all I had for the time being in the shop to coat it with...A BIG, BIG thanks to woodsmith for the idea...Even with the proper equipment, sometimes we have a brain fart that needs another's opinion. Everyone else's opinions are much appreciated too...

/ Chrome stack #13  
Good work there. :thumbsup:
I'm glad it worked out, looks good in the header paint too.

/ Chrome stack #15  
From your OP it seems you keep the tractor in the garage.You have cut the exhaust so that you can park it there. Why do you need to do anything?

The tractor fits in the garage, it has no cab so I cannot imagine you sitting on it and someone pouring enough water on you that the tractor suffers from an intake via the exhaust. If you are ever caught out in even a sudden downpour the outflow from the exhaust will stop the rain from entering.

If you absolutely must do something - and chrome on a tractor exhaust is just too much "show", then find the lowest point on the exhaust and do what Harry Ferguson did - drill a small hole in the lowest point and any rain (or condensation) will simply drain out.

Your post yesterday at 6.50pm was right - the simplest ideas are the best - and the cheapest. You might, of course, have cut the pipe so that the exhaust fumes blow back in your face - in which case you do need to do something that will cost money.

/ Chrome stack #16  
My new 5045D was born with a stack that's unfortunately about 6" too tall for my garage, and unfortunately, I needed to hack off the bend on the end of the pipe. I now have a short, straight cut pipe on the tractor, and I'm looking for opinions on how to proceed...Should I leave the pipe as is, with heat sheild in place, and put a rain cap on the pipe (ugly, but cheap,) or remove the heat shield and black pipe and replace with a shiny new chrome turnout pipe(More expensive but cleaner looking)...If I decide to go with the chrome turnout, I'd like to know if anyone has any online suggestions as to where to find one of the appropriate size, as this one's going to need a 2-1/8"I.D. X 24" long. Not having any luck finding that particular size in the usual online sources...any thoughts are appreciated fellas..

P.S. I'll post a pic of the tractor as is when I get home to get your collective creative juices flowing...:laughing:

Any good hot rod header shop should be able to bend a chrome pipe of any size you want. I don't think discoloration will be a problem on the cold side of the muffler. :thumbsup:

/ Chrome stack
From your OP it seems you keep the tractor in the garage.You have cut the exhaust so that you can park it there. Why do you need to do anything?

The tractor fits in the garage, it has no cab so I cannot imagine you sitting on it and someone pouring enough water on you that the tractor suffers from an intake via the exhaust. If you are ever caught out in even a sudden downpour the outflow from the exhaust will stop the rain from entering.

If you absolutely must do something - and chrome on a tractor exhaust is just too much "show", then find the lowest point on the exhaust and do what Harry Ferguson did - drill a small hole in the lowest point and any rain (or condensation) will simply drain out.

Your post yesterday at 6.50pm was right - the simplest ideas are the best - and the cheapest. You might, of course, have cut the pipe so that the exhaust fumes blow back in your face - in which case you do need to do something that will cost money.

As much as I dislike it, there are times when the tractor must sit outside the shop due to other projects ongoing...This coupled with the fact that the pipe is so short to clear the door that the smoke would invariably make it's way down my windpipe when the wind blew in just the right direction, pretty much made it necessary to reinstall a bend on the pipe, whether by welding or simply replacing the pipe with a new one, and being a Harley man, of course that replacement pipe would have had to be chrome( Besides, that chrome adds ~10HP(at the PTO)):laughing:

/ Chrome stack #18  
Too late now but couldn't you have cut the exhaust stack somewhere down on the straight section (retaining the top bend) cut again to length and then rewelded it? Maybe just above the stack's exhaust flange and reweld a new flange thus no break in the stack's body length? I don't know your 5045D exhaust setup so my suggestions could be just wishful wanderings.
:eek:Sorry-I missed seeing there was a second page to your post. Your solution with the heat shield looks great.

/ Chrome stack #19  
Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ones...I'm going to give this one a little thought and possibly try that tomorrow, will post a few pics of the process is I do it...Thanks.

I like this idea also. Mostly because Ive done it with two different tractors as well. As ling as the metal is still solid its and easy fix..

/ Chrome stack
Too late now but couldn't you have cut the exhaust stack somewhere down on the straight section (retaining the top bend) cut again to length and then rewelded it? Maybe just above the stack's exhaust flange and reweld a new flange thus no break in the stack's body length? I don't know your 5045D exhaust setup so my suggestions could be just wishful wanderings.
:eek:Sorry-I missed seeing there was a second page to your post. Your solution with the heat shield looks great.

Thanks...I think it turned out pretty good. I just need to locate some good wrinkle paint to cover up the weld mark...Nobody else notices it, but I see it every time I look up in that direction...:confused3: