Chrome stack

/ Chrome stack #1  

adirondackmtnman

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5045D
My new 5045D was born with a stack that's unfortunately about 6" too tall for my garage, and unfortunately, I needed to hack off the bend on the end of the pipe. I now have a short, straight cut pipe on the tractor, and I'm looking for opinions on how to proceed...Should I leave the pipe as is, with heat sheild in place, and put a rain cap on the pipe (ugly, but cheap,) or remove the heat shield and black pipe and replace with a shiny new chrome turnout pipe(More expensive but cleaner looking)...If I decide to go with the chrome turnout, I'd like to know if anyone has any online suggestions as to where to find one of the appropriate size, as this one's going to need a 2-1/8"I.D. X 24" long. Not having any luck finding that particular size in the usual online sources...any thoughts are appreciated fellas..

P.S. I'll post a pic of the tractor as is when I get home to get your collective creative juices flowing...:laughing:

/ Chrome stack #2  
what about just installing a flapper..

/ Chrome stack #3  
The flapper is the cheapest way to go. As for a chrome stack I have noticed that some get hot and turn a blue color and look like garbage after. I would stay with the black exhaust.

/ Chrome stack
The flapper is the cheapest way to go. As for a chrome stack I have noticed that some get hot and turn a blue color and look like garbage after. I would stay with the black exhaust.

Yeah, the flapper's the cheapest way to go, Just would look more 'old school' than the chrome. The discoloration is most of my concern, however the flapper gives the best protection against water protrusion. I know on my harley, with good carb tuning, the discoloration can be generally limited to the first couple inches from the head, not sure how much heat the tractor would build in that area, it's way past the muffler, so I'm guessing it's not too hot in that area...maybe I'll hit it after operating for a while with an infared thermometer and see what I get for temps...

/ Chrome stack #6  
If you want "old school", a 1 pound coffee can works great, but if you forget to take it off before you start the tractor you will have to chase it down.

/ Chrome stack #7  
For chrome or black, look to Shoup Manufacturing. They have a big selection.

/ Chrome stack #8  
How about shortening the pipe and then welding the bend back on lower down?

/ Chrome stack
How about shortening the pipe and then welding the bend back on lower down?

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best ones...I'm going to give this one a little thought and possibly try that tomorrow, will post a few pics of the process is I do it...Thanks.

/ Chrome stack #10  
If all you did was to cut the turn out off. The chrome pipe should not blue much if most of the origanal black stack is still there. Leave most of the original pipe there and cut the chrome piece just short enough to fit under the door. Then slip it over the original pipe. May need to make a couple of spacers to make up the difference in pipe dimentions. Just a thought.