Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO #1  

ljorgen

Tractor
Allis Chalmers wd45
I am new on TractorByNet and was looking for ideas on making a live PTO on my Allis Chalmers C. thanks loren

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO #3  
Working from a childhood memory here so I can't be to specific-- A farm I worked for when I was around 12 had a couple of Allis tractors. One was what I believe to be a "C". While it did not have a true live PTO it did have a method of stopping forward movement of tractor while letting the pto continue under power. It had 2 clutches. The first was a normal foot operated disk on the back of the flywheel like any tractor or truck of that vintage. When you pushed in the clutch it disconnected power to both the transmission and the PTO. The second clutch was on an axle shaft. It was operated by a hand lever. When you pulled it it would stop power going to the wheels and allow the PTO to continue to operate. I have not seen this tractor in 40 years and have no idea if this was a common option. Maybe someone who knows old Allis tractors can help you more than I can.

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO #4  
KubotaSam said:
Working from a childhood memory here so I can't be to specific-- A farm I worked for when I was around 12 had a couple of Allis tractors. One was what I believe to be a "C". While it did not have a true live PTO it did have a method of stopping forward movement of tractor while letting the pto continue under power. It had 2 clutches. The first was a normal foot operated disk on the back of the flywheel like any tractor or truck of that vintage. When you pushed in the clutch it disconnected power to both the transmission and the PTO. The second clutch was on an axle shaft. It was operated by a hand lever. When you pulled it it would stop power going to the wheels and allow the PTO to continue to operate. I have not seen this tractor in 40 years and have no idea if this was a common option. Maybe someone who knows old Allis tractors can help you more than I can.

The C have no way if making the PTO live. The tractor above sounds like a Wd Allis. They has two clutches a hand and a foot. One for just motion and one for motion and PTO.

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO #5  
A quick google search show that the Allis CA had the hand clutch that allowed the PTO to operate independently. From Tractordata.com I understand the CA replaced the C. I wonder if the final drive from a CA that has the hand clutch would fit a earlier C ?

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO #6  
i really do not like giving link to another tractor forum. but... AllisChalmers Forum is dedicated to just allis chalmers tractors. and Unofficial Allis Home Page gives more links for parts for the old tractors.

is there a reason why you are wanting live PTO? or rather what are you doing, that is wanting you to have live pto?

A quick google search show that the Allis CA had the hand clutch that allowed the PTO to operate independently. From Tractordata.com I understand the CA replaced the C. I wonder if the final drive from a CA that has the hand clutch would fit a earlier C ?

ya asking for almost a complete new rear end, from tranmission, all the way back. i would bet.

had to split CA to replace PTO shaft that broke in half. and if memory serves. there is a link that extends from the hand lever from rear end into the transmission. along with a shaft/rod that goes between transmission and rear end.

if memory serves some folks did some swapping of tranmissions and PTO rear ends, and different hyd pumps. when i went a looking for info. but i think some machining and modifications were needed...

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO
I was thinking of belt driving a shaft from the front of the motor to the PTO with reduction ratio to get motor rpm down to PTO rpm and then adding an electrical activated clutch to start and stop PTO. I would have to move the front steering mechanism ahead an inch or two. This maybe too much work or impossible? Looking for easier ideas. thanks loren

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO #8  
Not wanting to be a wise guy, but with good used WDs and WD45s going for about $2000 to $3000, you could buy one and sell your C a lot easier than modifying the C. (And end up with a better tractor overall.)

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO #9  
...and i'd never go electric pto engage.. no way to feather it.. it will pop shear bolts like a machine gun. have seen it on other machiens with non featherable pto's/

I HAVE seen machines that used an engine belted pto setup though.

IMHO.. I'd get the ca or the wd if you just want the live pto.. otherwise, if you just like to make things.. go for it and take lots of pics and document it so we can all see it :)

/ Allis Chalmers C upgrade to live PTO
Thanks for the non feathering idea for the electric pto engage. I think your right. loren