Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #21  
Headers are a waste of money, and factory manifolds flow better than in the past,more powerblock BS!! Your warranty will be voided the second the supercharger is added! There goes any resale value if you trade it in! Programs for fuel mileage are total BS, and a waste of money. Get a Dmax, because it will be cheaper than modding the 6.0!!

Shorttubes headers on a truck like that are a waste but long tubes will wake it up. I don't think the op has posted back in weeks.

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #22  
Shorttubes headers on a truck like that are a waste but long tubes will wake it up. I don't think the op has posted back in weeks.

Even so, that is a major waste of money, and will never see a return. Go Duramax!!

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #24  
Sure a duramax would be great i have had one and now have a 07 cummins. For a tow rig a diesel is better but if you want to make power with the 6.0 it can and has been done over and over. I put 36000 miles on my 05 after the mods needed to make a 700hp work truck. It was a fun truck i wasnt concerned with warranty concerns i had the parts and built off what i had on hand.

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #25  
If you want the power of a Duramax, then get one :cool2: Unless money is no object (in which case you would have bought an appropriate engine to begin with) and you don't care about your warranty, then mod the heck out of it.

I'm having a hard time even trying to think about upgrading my 2006 Duramax to anything else.

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #26  
The 6.0 is just as capable if not more capable than the dmax of making power.

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #27  
94BULLITT said:
The 6.0 is just as capable if not more capable than the dmax of making power.

Yes, but how long will it survive? I know when dodge came out with the 1994 cummins trucks they sheared transmission input shafts like crazy! Dodge had to put in a heavier transmission to make them hold together. Does this truck have the allison?

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #28  
swick1 said:
Yes, but how long will it survive? I know when dodge came out with the 1994 cummins trucks they sheared transmission input shafts like crazy! Dodge had to put in a heavier transmission to make them hold together. Does this truck have the allison?

The older chevys had a 4L80, I don't know about the new one's. I know a guy that has a 01 Dodge with the Cummins he is on his 4th trans at around 150k. He is afraid to tow with it.

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #29  
The 2012's have a 6L90E six speed auto behind the 6.0L, the Allsion is behind the Duramax.

My 2012 2500 HD is no slouch, but it could have some more puling power if I had picked the 4.10 gears. With taller tires I can see why a power/gear upgrade is needed.

But...

If money is unlimited, and you wanted to make a D'max killer out of an LS truck, it can be done. There is a guy featured in Trucks (the mag) that built a hybrid LS7/LS9 engine for $35K that will give a modified Dmax competition.

Warranty is up with the big tires. Not to mention, the black box will go nuts...

/ Need more HP in my 2012 gmc 2500 6.0L #30  
Quick note on gears:

Lots of people say go with 4.56 gears, but I'd actually go with 4.10's on the new trucks. The old trucks, back in the 4 speed days, had much higher gears for first and second than in the new 6 speeds. I think the first gear on the old 4 speeds in your pre-2007 trucks was like 2.48:1. In the new 6 speed transmissions its 4.027:1. In other words while the old trucks needed 4.56:1 gears to get their power back, going with 4.56 gears in the axle in the new trucks is going to be overkill. The second gear on the new trucks is 2.364:1, so its almost as tall as the old transmissions first speed.

I'd go with 4.10's for now. Otherwise, your highway mileage is going to really, really stink. Dodge did something similar with its new 6 speed transmission, and when a buddy of mine lifted his 2010 Ram 1500 and put in 4.56 gears he liked how zippy it was around town but he was cruising on the highway near 2400 rpms, unloaded and on a flat surface at 70mph. You could be looking at the same deal in a thirstier 6.0L in a heavier truck, and gas is $4 a gallon.