Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod

/ Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod #1  

redka

Silver Member
I have a 3 pt. disk harrow bought new a few years back for food plots. It does a good job but of course leaves a 4"-6" furrows on the outsides of each pass. Factory furrow fillers are available but expensive. Ran across a thread somewhere in which instead of adding furrow fillers he simply cut down the two outer rear disk several inches(4"-6" I suppose). I didn't see any feedback where that would be a problem. Anyone have any experience or advice if this is an acceptable modification? Thanks.

/ Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod #2  
The rear outside disc's on my Massey 3 pt. disk, are about 2" smaller than the rest. Was that way when I bought it. Still leaves a furrow, but only 2-3 inches deep, and that is in fine dirt.

/ Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod #3  
sure will change the temper by using a torch!!!! Most outer disc's are two inches smaller and still the best way to rid the problem is to add the furrow fillers.

/ Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod
Thanks, my outer disk is same size as the others. Had not thought about temper.

/ Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod #5  
I've watched where our farmers have done a lot of things, won't rate the values or the laughs from them as normally a dealer profits. One of the things that might help would be to configure a leveler off the outer rear sides to knock the hills being made down. On some disc's to get them to finish level they use a drag tooth in the center to keep them from ridging there.

/ Disk Harrow furrow filler disk mod
I've watched where our farmers have done a lot of things, won't rate the values or the laughs from them as normally a dealer profits. One of the things that might help would be to configure a leveler off the outer rear sides to knock the hills being made down. On some disc's to get them to finish level they use a drag tooth in the center to keep them from ridging there.

Thanks art. I went ahead and had a shop trim off 3". Tried it out, and it helped some but not all that much. I had a leveling board installed when I bought the harrow. It's slightly wider than the swath, but doesn't work all that well either. Live and learn.