Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion #11  
there's this wonderfull thing out there called the internet. One of it's features is a search. ;)

i like google.. but there are many others.. including bing.. etc.. :)

Here's one of the 68 trillion hits i got on 'orbital valve' taks about them a lil bit.

Rockstomper.com

If i was a betting man.. I'd bet that 'steering motor' might turn up similar amounts of results. :) ;)

post back if ya need some more ideas. :)

( they are just ways to convert from mechanical stering box to power steering.. the basics of which are a pressurized DA cyl or a pair of SA cyls, specific valving, and a pressure source... )

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion
Took your advice and looked it up. Found a very informative website on how Hydro steering works. It was done by a guy who'd into extreme 4X4, but the terminology and technical stuff was very accurate. I guess from what I understand of hydraulic steering, aka "fully power", I imagine I'm more interested in a power assist type of unit. I did want to thank you though Soundguy as you did force me to learn, exactly what I asked for.

The hydraulic steering directional control valve / metering section is the heart of the system. Note, many many people erroneously refer to this as an "orbital valve". This is incorrect. The hydraulic industry does not refer to them as "orbital valves". Orbital is a nomenclature (name) reserved for referring to a specific type of hydraulic motor, that has nothing to do with hydro steering. Not one of the the 3 major US manufacturers refers to their steering valves as "orbital valves". However, Eaton/Car-Lynn does market a hydrostatic steering unit that has the trade name Orbitrol™ and this may be where the error originates.

This is a brief excerpt from what I read. Again, many thanks Soundguy for helping me with the research!

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion #13  
psc calls theirs an orbital steering valve, many just call them steering control valves.

I know you think the lil blurb you posted means alot.. but if you call any hyds supply place and mention orbital valve.. they will know what you mean.

that and steering motor.

just common terms nowadays.

have fun building your power steering setup.

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion #14  
The power steering on the old WD 45 (not old at the time we had it) was just an inline hydraulic motor of some kind. It was basically cut into the steering rod prior to the gear box in front. I dont remember where the hydraulic power came from. I suppose this was one of the orbital motors soundguy has mentioned. It wasnt like the hydrostatic steering of today the has a hydraulic cylinder to move the wheels. As I recall, it was a pretty large mechanism 6-8" or so in diameter but I could be wrong on the size as everything I remember from back then as being larger than they are today. I guess this is due to seeing from a childs eyes. I was pretty young then, but still old enough to drive the WD which took some getting used to using the hand clutch when mowing with it rather than the foot clutch. After a little break-in period, the hand clutch was smoother to use than the foot clutch for easing back on implements for hookup. This was the first tractor we had with PS so I got to drive it while my Dad drove the 861 Ford.

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion #15  
the description reminds me of an old power steering setup for a farmall.. right inthe rod before it enters the hood.

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion #16  
This one was right in the rod just before the steering gear box on the tricycle front end. It did work well though.

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion #17  
i seen a farmall M or 300 thathad one mid rod right before it entered the hood. charlynn maybee?

/ Allis Chalmers WD 45 power steering conversion #18  
Just in case they might help, here are a couple of photos of the Kubota supplied after-market power steering kit I added to my B8200 10 years ago. The steering link was removed, and this valve unit went in its place. The valve controls the push-pull cylinder, and I believe it's an assist like what you are after. Works great, and not too complicated if I could install it.

Attachments

• 271544-steering hi.jpg
    271544-steering hi.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 439
  • 271542-steering low.jpg
    271542-steering low.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 415